Four hour layover in CHI - what to do?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

John King

Train Attendant
Travelling on the CL roundtrip at the end of February. There's the four hour layover Saturday a.m., and four hours a week later Sunday p.m. Sister and I looking for suggestions on what to do, where to go, and how to get there?

Travelling on the CL roundtrip at the end of February. There's the four hour layover Saturday a.m., and four hours a week later Sunday p.m. Sister and I looking for suggestions on what to do, where to go, and how to get there?
Almost directly X the street (River) is the "Sears Tower", now called "Willis Tower". If your train's on time, you'd have more than enuff time to lay out some cash, and get a birds-eye view of The Windy. Just check the visibility b4 shelling out the cash. Nice views of the rail yards leading into the throat of CUS.

You could ride around on the "L" a bit, or get a bite to eat at one of the many (other posters will chime in here) great restaurants/pizza shops in the area.

Go online ahead of time, and scope out what you want to do, get maps, etc. If you are in for healthy walk, head South to the Whole Foods store, and stock up on some wine and cheese for the trip home.

Either way, if you are traveling in a sleeper, remember that you get to use Chicago Union Station's "Metropolitan Club".

In the winter when you are going to be there -- I'd recommend the Sears (Willis) Tower, maybe stroll over to the Art Institute (down Jackson) -- check out Posters Plus across the street from the AI for some great old time train posters!!!, maybe do a Metra or CTA ride somewhere and back, you can always probably do a "point run" to Glenview and back on the Hiawatha if time allows.

If you are there in the summer, I totally recommend that everyone take the Chicago Water Taxi. You can catch that about 3 blocks north of Union Station... just keep walking along the river (don't cross it)... and you will find their set of stairs leading down to the boat dock. For a $2 one-way, $4 round-trip, or $5 all day pass... you can ride the Chicago River from there to Michigan Avenue. You get to go under the famous Chicago bridges and can get some great pictures... and of course at Michigan Avenue you can get off and go shopping or browse... or stay on and ride back to where you started from. The boats run every 15 minutes -- and a round-trip only takes 30-35 minutes. :) When I did Trails & Rails on the Empire Builder, I'd always recommend that for people who were connecting to #48 or #30. For $4 or $5 you can't beat it!!!

Again, that's in the summer only of course... hahaha.

good suggestions in the above posts. as they note, much is weather dependent. when we layover in the windy city we usually walk down to millenium and grant parks between michigan avenue and the lake. great views of the lake and the downtown buildings. it you haven't fooled around by the cloud gate sculpture (the bean) in millenium park it is a lot of fun. we went up in willis tower (right across from the station) a couple years ago and even though i don't usually go in for such "touristy" sites, we had a clear day and it was very enjoyable. bring your camera

Yep, when we laid over between the Cap and the Builder, we did the "AU special" - Willis Tower, lunch at Giordiano's, relax in the Met Lounge until train time. Perfect. :)

Will there be enough time to this "AU Special" between Cardinal and Builder, assuming everything is on time? I believe the cardinal is scheduled to arrive around 10:30 or so.

Absolutely - actually I misspoke, we came off the Cardinal and departed on the Builder. We took the Cap headed the other direction. We spent as long as we wanted at the Willis Tower and were at Giordiano's by noon or so, then back in the Met Lounge around 1:30ish (I think).

Keep in mind that if it is a really windy day, they close the Sears/Willis Tower. I had a layover from the Cap to the Builder two years ago. I was really looking forward to going out on the skydecks or what ever they call those glass platforms, but was turned away before I could even enter the building.

Also, another great place to eat is Lou Mitchell's about two blocks on the backside of CUS. It's a great 50's Route 66 diner with great food and reasonable prices.

Dan

I'm a big fan of the original Pizzeria Uno - which is north of the station on Ohio Street. A perfect place to kill time.

About a mile north - going towards Michigan Ave. Good location. Easy (scenic) walk along the river.

Since you only have four hours to spare I would see the Willis Tower, spend 1 hour there, then if it is meal time go out to eat. For a really great meal go over to Greektown on Halsted street about 3 blocks to the West. There are dozens of excellent resturants there including upscale types, Greek, pizza, Starbucks and sandwich shops for every budget. They also have some great bakeries where you can get some snacks for the train trip. Our favorite Greek restaurants there are the Greek Island and the Parthenon. There is also a large supermarket on Halstead street where you can buy just about everything.

In the winter when you are going to be there -- I'd recommend the Sears (Willis) Tower, maybe stroll over to the Art Institute (down Jackson) -- check out Posters Plus across the street from the AI for some great old time train posters!!!, maybe do a Metra or CTA ride somewhere and back, you can always probably do a "point run" to Glenview and back on the Hiawatha if time allows.

If you are there in the summer, I totally recommend that everyone take the Chicago Water Taxi. You can catch that about 3 blocks north of Union Station... just keep walking along the river (don't cross it)... and you will find their set of stairs leading down to the boat dock. For a $2 one-way, $4 round-trip, or $5 all day pass... you can ride the Chicago River from there to Michigan Avenue. You get to go under the famous Chicago bridges and can get some great pictures... and of course at Michigan Avenue you can get off and go shopping or browse... or stay on and ride back to where you started from. The boats run every 15 minutes -- and a round-trip only takes 30-35 minutes. :) When I did Trails & Rails on the Empire Builder, I'd always recommend that for people who were connecting to #48 or #30. For $4 or $5 you can't beat it!!!

Again, that's in the summer only of course... hahaha.

Yes on the taxi but at Michigan you can walk to The Goat on Lower Whacker for an interesting bit of true Chicago (think Saturday Night Live: the Cheeburger, Cheeburger, Cheeburger skit)

We never miss a trip to Lou Mitchells' You can see the menu at loumitchellsrestaurant.com and also where it is. Don't plan to eat "just a little bit" That does not happen there. They give you a bite as you walk in the door - Milk Duds or donut holes. Another nice walk is up Michigan Avenue to the Water Tower, then to Nieman Marcus for lunch then over to State Street for the walk back to the station area. If you want to get a bite in the station, the Corner Bakery is a favorite.

We have also taken a taxi to the Museum of Science and Industry. Not so easy to find one to get back - you might have to walk a bit.

At Lou Mitchell's cash means cash... no plastic. It is only crowded when it is OPEN !!

If you use google maps, it is a very good source for using public transportation around Chicago. For example, put in directions from Union Station to Navy Pier, then above the directions click on the little symbol that looks like the front of a bus (or train) and the mapping will give you the various bus routes to your destination.( You have to select the bus each time... the system defaults to car directions) In this case you will see a direct route on the 124 bus from right outside Union Station to the Pier. Bus runs every 20 min... one ride is $2.25 (Exact change and they do take paper money). On a beautiful day you can ride back to the station on one of the boats mentioned above or reverse your bus trip. I have found this google source very handy to get to Mich Ave, the museums, and the ball parks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back