Fred Frailey on the CZ diner from hell

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That one there is me with Trader Sam...

ohh - that's the snake I had a crush on...until she returned the favor...

And that one - oh that's a guest...

And that's me when I started as a singer in It's a Small World...after my folks left me behind...
I had no idea what the backside of water looked like until I went on the Jungle Cruise!

The mention of Auto Train Julie reminds me that the Auto Train is, AFAIK, the last train to use Onboard Service Chiefs. They were removed from the other trains several years ago. If there had been a Chief in charge on the Zephyr, I suspect Fred might have had a better dining car experience.

At least that's one opinion.

Tom
Or, going back further, a Dining Car Steward. They were used by Amtrak for a few years after takeover from the private railroads. The stewards were represented by the UTU before they were replaced by LSA's. They were in charge of the dining car staff, which consisted of a chef, and two or three assistant's, plus up to six waiter's. And that was in a 48 seat diner! A twin-unit diner had an even larger crew. Of course, back then they prepared almost everything from scratch on board, and washed real china, crystal, and silverware.....

I wonder if this was the famous miss Polly from the Texas eagle. Iirc she transferred over to the cz.
She transfered for awhile Steve but she's back on the Eagles!
That LSA sounds like one who graduated from the Chicago Charm School!
Sounds like the CZ dining car situation the wife and I ran into in June... and why I simply avoided the dining car last week.

And that's me when I started as a singer in It's a Small World...after my folks left me behind...
I had no idea what the backside of water looked like until I went on the Jungle Cruise!
Amazing, eh? And don't forget: never get in to an argument with Rhino. He'll always make his point. In the end.

"Be careful not to hit the bank. That bank is closed today."

"Beware of those elephants; they could charge. Actually, they won't; we took away their charge cards."

"We're passing the laughing rapids; boats just seem to crack up over them."

"That bush was given to us last season by miss Ann Heiser; yes, it's the famous Ann Heiser Bush."

"This temple was built by the Shirley Indians. Yes, it's the famous Shirley Temple."

"Oh, my, it's King Kong! You'd better stay down, ma'am; in that yellow dress you look like a banana and he might find you a-peel-ing!"

"That's an alligator coming up on the right. Keep your hands in the boat; last week we had an English teacher who stuck her hand out and now she's teaching shorthand."

"Now there are two ways to exit the boat: The dock side, and the suicide. I'd recommend the dock side as the suicide tends to dampen your spirits just a bit."

(River of No Return, Astroworld USA [Houston, TX], circa 1980)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back