Freight Engines for California Zephyrs Due to Blizzard

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Agent

Conductor
I've been told by a person with access to these things that, because of the blizzard warnings in the Midwest right now, bulletins have been issued to add freight locomotives to Amtrak trains #5 and #6 today and tomorrow. I've suppose this would be subject to change at any time like a few other railroad plans I've seen.

I saw Amtrak #6(30) running through Agency, Iowa an hour and thirty-nine minutes late this morning with the BNSF 8000 leading it. This California Zephyr also happened to have the Phase III P40 heritage unit AMTK 822 in the third spot.

That BNSF unit was not on 6(30) when it passed thru GSC yesterday.

That BNSF unit was not on 6(30) when it passed thru GSC yesterday.
I'm guessing it was put on in Denver.

Amtrak #5(01) came through Agency, Iowa last night around twenty-five minutes late with the BNSF 8000 leading it. Yes, the same unit that led #6(30) earlier in the day. Apparently, it was taken off #6 in Galesburg, Illinois and waited there to be put on #5. And for the second time that day, it was leading a California Zephyr with a heritage unit. This time it was AMTK 184 in Phase IV.

I've been told #6(31) does have a freight engine leading it now.

Perhaps the extra locomotive was added to ensure that the train would not break down in Iowa, which might have afflicted passengers with more spur-of-the-moment stump speeches by political candidates.

"Cruel and unusual" comes to mind, except that it's all too usual.

#6(31) was four hours and twenty-one minutes late when it came through Agency, Iowa. The leader was BNSF 3869, which is a new engine built about four months ago for the EPA's Tier 4 emission standards. It still had some of the blizzard on its nose. The plan is to leave 3869 at Galesburg for #5(02) to pick up.

Amtrak #6(01) came through Agency, Iowa today one minute under three hours late with BNSF 8000 leading the way again. I can't remember seeing this much snow on an Amtrak train before. Also, I heard over the radio someone say, "they were stealing parts off that Amtrak unit all night." Didn't hear enough to get the full context though.

Just so you know, the host asked for additional power for the next few days.

I doubt if the host cared who provided the extra power. Since BNSF provided it, I imagine Amtrak was unable.

Edit. Beat me by a minute, PRR 60!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just so you know, the host asked for additional power for the next few days.
From them or from Amtrak?
isn't that obvious? Clearly the host provided extra power.
Yes, I have noticed BNSF has been putting their locomotives on the Zephyr. I was just asking for clarification if they were going to keep doing the same thing, or if BNSF asked for additional power to be a third Amtrak unit like BNSF requires for the Empire Builder.

Anyway, #5(03) lost over two hours in a service disruption in Iowa last night. I've seen one report that says #5's freight unit died.

Not to diss Iowa or its fine citizens, ( even if they voted for Ted Crud!!) but isn't Iowa basically flat corn and bean fields and a third engine shouldn't be required between Chicago and Denver??!!

Reading between the lines: the reason for a freight loco from BNSF is because Amtrak doesn't have sufficient extra locos, and not because the freight units are some how better equipped to deal with the snowy conditions?

Agent,

when the host asks for extra power during certain periods, it goes the way Keelhauled, PRR60 and Willem mentioned. In this case, the host asked for additional power since there was a blizzard. Additionally, another host also asked for additional power on the Chief. This is because if something goes wrong, assistance may not be immediately available.

The hosts will usually offer units if the request comes late or if Amtrak is short units in the area.

Host rrs certainly have plenty of spare units just not always in the correct location. Add freight units where available then no problem to Amtrak. Believe most freight units at AC traction which are somewhat less prone to fail in powder snow especially.

The Hawkeye state has tricked you, The relativity flat path of I80 and the Zeph is designed to lull you to sleep but in the corners of the state, especially Decorah, there is true beauty in them thar hills. Is this heaven? No it's Iowa

Iowa's not the problem here (though continue to make fun of the state, it warms my heart :lol: ) we had a massive blizzard over here in Nebraska! Got about a donkey's worth of snow in some parts.

12654322_10153880989993057_2595242872420877171_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back