Freight interference in northern NM?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am wondering if there is ever freight interference in northern NM, specifically between Raton and Albuquerque. I was thinking there wasn't a whole lot of freight these days on that section, but I don't really know. The reason I ask is because my sister and I are taking a trip on the SWC in late July/early August. Upon our return, her husband will have to drive 4 hours to pick her up. I checked ASMAD to see what kind of delays the SWC is experiencing and NOT ONE TRAIN WAS ON TIME in this last month. The average delay of arrival in ABQ was 2 hours and 54 minutes. I am operating on the assumption that most of the delays happened east of NM and that most of it is due to freight interference (yes, I'm aware of the derailment in Missouri in late June). I was thinking that if there isn't any or much recent history of freight interference in northern MN, we could contact her husband around Raton which is roughly 5 hours from Albuquerque to inform him of the train status, so that he and we can make adjustments, if necessary, as to when he leaves their home town to come and get her. Of course, I realize there can be other reasons for delays besides freight interference, but since freight interference seems to be the most common reason, I thought I would see if any of you know of the northern NM situation in that regard.

To see what delays there were between RAT (Raton) and ABQ, use this site to compare each stations OTP

https://juckins.net/amtrak_status/a...=schDp&sort_dir=DESC&co=gt&limit_mins=&dfon=1
Ok, I did that. It looks like delays keep ticking up between Raton and ABQ. It seems that it would be best for my sister to stay with us in ABQ until the next day and take the RailRunner to Belen as the RailRunner has more reliable on-time performance given the short distances involved.

Thanks everybody!

Back