Freight Timetables

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I want to rail fan a little freight action there is a line that runs through my town. People who I've asked say there not sure if it follows some kind of pattern/ they don't care. I really don't want to just sit there all day/night hoping so I looked online and came up short. Is there a way to find out when a freight is scheduled to be running at a certain place or is it luck of the draw?

Is the line close enough that you can hear the trains? If so, that can be your guide. Just make a note of when you hear them for a few days, a couple of weeks is better, as there may be regular variations from day to day.

You did not give any indication of the normal frequency of trains on the line, or where you are. Some hints fo that nature might help.

If the line is really busy, then any time could be as good as any other. If not, that is another story. then you need to determine if there is a pattern.

In the past many railroad companies published freight schedules, but apparently not anymore. Even when they did, for the most part there was a large dose of approximation for all but a few "flagship" type freights.

If you have a scanner, you may be able to hear them talking if you know their frequency or range of possibilities, and if there happens to be a need for the crews to talk when they are in your area. I really know nothing about this subject.

I don't live with in range of hearing the trains so that option is out. It is a CSX/NS Shared assets line from what I can gather running through Tinton Falls NJ. Yeah I have never picked them up on the scanner.

I believe that almost all freight trains in the U.S. are run as "extras," i.e., there is no published schedule. (There may be a timetable, but in railroad parlance, that's not the same thing). In a way, this is a good thing, since it means that any time at a railroad crossing may be train time.

Back