Freights take legal action

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bretton88

Conductor
So, according to a story in Train mag, the association of American railroads, which represents all the class 1 railroads in the nation has filed a court challenge against the federal government seeking to overturn PRIAA 08. They say that the guidelines where arbitrary and capricious. This is also the act that led to much improved service for Amtrak, due to the penalties that could be given to the host railroads. This concerns me, if this act is overturned, Amtrak may lose all protections from abuse from host rr's. This would also probably hamper the creation of hsr on shares row with the freights. What is your view on this? I'm personally a bit concerned.

Frieght railroads sue the FRA

Did UP start this then bully the other railroads into joining?
I doubt it. UP isn't as smart as it use to be 20-40 years ago. I personally like the engines and how things were done back then, but that was then. IDK what happened to UP it's not the company it use to be. Back on topic. It probably was something else more then just the freight railroads being involved.

Dont forget that Warren buffet now controls BNSF and there is no one smarter than this guy!
wink.gif

Last edited:
I doubt it. UP isn't as smart as it use to be 20-40 years ago. I personally like the engines and how things were done back then, but that was then. IDK what happened to UP it's not the company it use to be. Back on topic. It probably was something else more then just the freight railroads being involved.
We all know how UP feels towards Amtrak.

We all know how UP feels towards Amtrak.
I know. Somebody needs to take over UP or merge it into another railroad.

Did UP start this then bully the other railroads into joining?
No, the UP did not start this. This is a joint action, even Matt Rose was not happy with some of the requirements in PRIAA and has expressed his displeasure at the FRA. This is more of an action agains the FRA and some of the requirements they have put on the use of federal money. They are also upset at the PTC requirements that the FRA laid out because of PRIAA. This is not an attack at Amtrak per se, but if it succeeds, it will remove some of the new protections that Amtrak has enjoyed. They wouldn't even think that it was worth the legal effort if the problem was amtrak's 1 a day LD.

The railroads walked away from passenger service in the 1960's so the government had to assume their operation. Now that they don't have the burden of passenger service they want complete control over their trackage? I say no way. They passed the burden of providing passenger service on to our governemnt and in doing so they recieved a large favor. They can return the favor by at least providing a little cooperation that would enable vital rail passenger service to still exist. I'd much rather see private industry running the passenger rail system but since the frieght railroads, won't provide it, they shouldn't mind lending their cooperation.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that the idea of it won't go through in a court room. Besides we all saw how bad it was before this new act was in place and how it is now. Yes it is bad on some routes, i.e. the cardinal, cz, and a few others. But it has Improved. Sometimes trains run Early. With the improvements made since this act was put in place. If a jury or judge or who ever makes the call sees the "decent" improvement I'd say they would side with the FRA on it.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back