frequent delays on the Vermonter???

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

Jonathan Segal

I'm thinking of trying the Vermonter from Penn Station NYC to White River Junction Vermont in early January--what's the likelihood of significant delays on this route??? Haven't ridden Amtrak in years, and old memories of long delays die hard.

What's the situation these days?? And does the rail line run all the way, or does one still have to get off the train and take a bus in Springfield, Mass.??

Rail line runs all the way and it's the same Vermonter train NYC-WRJ. No transfers or buses involved. Total trip scheduled at 6 hours, 55 minutes. http://www.amtrak.com for schedule and pricing info.

I took the Vermonter a few years back from New Haven to Essex Junction in the dead of Winter. The train was on-time for the entire duration of the trip. The most interesting aspect (besides the stunning scenery) was the stop near Amherst,MA where the train moves in reverse for the remainder of the trip. It was a great ride.

NativeSon5859 said:
The most interesting aspect (besides the stunning scenery) was the stop near Amherst,MA where the train moves in reverse for the remainder of the trip. It was a great ride.
Aloha

Why?

Mahalo

GG-1 said:
NativeSon5859 said:
The most interesting aspect (besides the stunning scenery) was the stop near Amherst,MA where the train moves in reverse for the remainder of the trip. It was a great ride.
Aloha

Why?

Mahalo
Thanks to the removal of a section of track years ago, the train must not leave Springfield heading east towards Boston for a short distance. Then the switch which leads to the track north is orientated to lead to Boston. Meaning that only trains heading west can use the switch.

Well the Vermonter is heading east, so the engineer must pull past the switch, climb down, walk to the rear engine, and basically pull the train backwards from that point north.

Took the Vermonter last October from Baltimore to Montpelier to leaf peep. Great trip and was only about 10 minutes late getting into Montpelier. Wife and I are looking at doing it again. Train reverses in Palmer, Massachusetts. Only problem was the Montpelier station is in the middle of no where and we had to call around for a taxi, but the station attendant was wonderful and gave us alot of help. I would just make sure you have a ride waiting or call ahead for a taxi. Montpelier is a little different from Baltimore (pleasantly so!!).

the engineer must pull past the switch, climb down, walk to the rear engine
If by climb down you mean walk through the train then sure. Dewey usually just walks through the train since it's easier most of the time. The train has been on time for the most part recently, but the track car hasn't ridden the route in a while, that might hinder you if it comes through in the near future. Also if you're traveling in the near future the falling leaves haven't been helping the run since they cause Wheel Slip. The power has also stunk recently, not helping either.

The direction reversal is at Palmer (20 mins east of Springfield) when the train moves from CSX (ex-B&A) to the NECR (ex-CV). Palmer isn't a station stop and the old B&A Bullfinch-designed station is in rough shape. I don't believe there ever was a connection in place that would permit movement in this direction. I've seen the train operate both with an ex-Metroliner cab car and an engine at each end to facilitate the reversal - not sure which is more common these days. If you dislike riding backwards you'll want to change seats at Palmer.

Dave

They did use an ex-Metroliner Cab Car for a while, but it was too light on the stick rail so they went back to using two ponies. There is a New England Central Rail Yard there at Palmer. Also, the old B&A Depot has been remodeled and been turned into a resturant. This is a really big spot for railfans, many stay for hours. My buddy will see the same railfans when he arrives from St. Albans and when he goes back (if he doubles back to St. Albans).

Latest posts

Back