From Chicago to Fort Worth (TX)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
F

Fernando Martins

Hi

I'm a Brazilian traveling by train in US.

I'll take a train from Chicago to Texas and it will take 24 hours.

Want to know if this trip is a pain or if I can have some fun.

Hope someone can help me.

Thank you all!!

Fernando

I take the Texas Eagle (one direction or the other) between Chicago and Texas about twice a month. I’ve been doing this for years. Though I have the route memorized, and the view out the window is not especially interesting (flat with almost no trees), your fellow passengers will always be a source of amazement, amusement, and consternation. The food is good, and the Texas Eagle seems to be on time these days.

The Texas Eagle has been doing very well as far as on time performance.

Are you in a sleeping car or coach? In coach, I'd bring a blanket or pillow, as well as things to do. Don't forget to visit the lounge car and visit with other passengers. You can also buy snacks and drinks. You should also have some meals in the diner. The food is pretty good, and if you get a good wait staff, they can be enjoyable too. Just give them the benefit of the doubt if they aren't as good.

The scenery isn't the greatest but its not boring either. East Texas has alot of trees and rolling hills. Fort Worth has a brand new station, also served by the Trinity Railway Express with service back to Dallas. There are quite a few museums that are very good in Fort Worth, as well as Sundance Square and the Stockyards. They are all just a short bus ride away from the station. Ask the info desk inside.

I work oboard the Texas Eagle as a Steward in the Dining car, and ride the train every four days. The train isn't that great scenery wise, but its a quick trip to Ft. Worth, believe me :) Don't be worried!

Back