From long ago but almost like today

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Guest said:
Looks more like a cab car then a loco

Yep, it is a strange looking critter, alright. But give it its due for historical perspective. That was very, very early in the days of both diesels and streamliners, a lot to be worked out.

Keep in mind that the train it is hauling,the Super Chief, (forerunner of today's Southwest Chief), was one of the nation's very finest trains.

Except for the windows along the side, I might suspect it to be a cab-forward steam engine.

Does anyone have more information on the picture?

sechs said:
Except for the windows along the side, I might suspect it to be a cab-forward steam engine.
Does anyone have more information on the picture?

Go to google and call up Santa Fe Super Chief early locomotives and you will find several hits.

You will see, per my post above, that this was a very early loco, later ones were much more normal looking.

Another thing to pull up on google is just Santa Fe Super Chief and that will give you much historical info. The Super was one of the nation's earliest and fastest streamliners (even if it is only going 50mph in the photo in question.)

The Super Chief ranked among trains what the Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth rank amongst ships. Thus, many ralfans of all ages can conceivably find it of some interest, that strange short term loco all the moreso. This same ranking applied to New York Central's 20th Century Limited and Pennsylvania's Broadway Limited. Looking them up and seeing some of their different locomotives through the years could prove very interesting.

One more thing: I can only assume that the word "super" was not nearly as wornout and trivialized when applied to this train in the 30's as it is today. I think, as a shortened form of "superlative", it probably really "meant something" when the Santa Fe first applied it way back then. .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back