From sun to snow, TE #21 & #22

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We left the 9th of February from CHI, roomette booked and spent time in the Metro Lounge beforehand. The roomette did not give me claustrophobia as predicted. The food was not superb, but it was ok. Breakfast wasn't good. We saw our service attendant once throughout the whole trip. We did handle the beds on our own, etc. It was actually a very nice trip. We were late through most of the trip, but somehow arrived almost half an hour early.

San Antonio was wonderful and warm. Corpus Christi and Port Aransas was beautiful. LOVED the

Central Market grocery store. Ate at many eateries on the Riverwalk. Liquor stores were not easy to find. Do they not drink as much as we do in Wisconsin???

#22 was again pleasant. Same food exactly. The Steak and the Hamburger were probably the best items on the menu. Greek Salad was good too if they have it, it was a special one day. Our SA was more attentive this time, he moved us from a noisy car right behind the engine. His choice, not our request. I heard the coaches were standing room only. Real glad we had a roomette. Tons of people getting on board for an overnight trip to Chicago. Thoroughly enjoyed all the people that we sat with on the dinning car. I hope the food is better on the CCC, wondering how that will work though.

wondering how many animals Amtrak hits on their tracks? :unsure: We saw a dead dog on the tracks, cut in half along side of us. I can't imagine animals get out of the way. Also, it's quite shocking how bad peoples back yards are that face the tracks. In fact, in Texas, it's unbelievable!

Good trip, we will definitely do it again. :rolleyes:

The bacon was flat hard, burned bacon jerky, the waffles were rubbery and tasteless, the hashbrowns had a weird taste to them, the omelette had the same weird taste, i.e. artichokes? I had ordered the california omelette with artichokes in it, so I thought that's what it was, but the next day my husbands hashbrowns tasted that way also! No artichokes ordered then.

I miss the quiche I had on board a few years ago, seems like it's not as much work and it tastes better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back