From the Michigan Association of Railroad Passenge

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From the Michigan Association of Railroad Passengers:

Help Stop the Great Train Robbery!!

Join members of the SEMG Sierra Club, Transportation Riders United (TRU) and Michigan Association of Railroad Passengers on Saturday, June 25, 2005 for a day long excursion from Pontiac to Kalamazoo to show support for full Federal funding of Amtrak. Proposed Federal budget cuts would virtually assure an end to passenger rail service in the State of Michigan.

We will meet at the Pontiac Amtrak station (free parking available) at 10 a.m. for a press conference/rally after which we will board the 11:05 a.m. train (Amtrak Wolverine train 353) bound for Kalamazoo. Join us for the whole trip or just part of the journey as your time allows!!!

We will leaflet and converse with passengers at each stop along the route, urging them to contact their legislators to oppose any Federal budget cuts to Amtrak!!! According to Amtrak’s latest surveys, Michigan ridership is up 15% from last year, serving over 600,000 passengers per year and employing 133 Michigan state residents. Rep. Joe Knollenberg (MI) chairs the House Transportation Subcommittee for the Appropriations Committee in Washington, DC. If there is only one action you can take, please phone, email or FAX (letters may be subject to security delays) his office to let him know you want full funding support for Amtrak. (FAX number (202) 226-2356 or email: Rep. Joe [email protected]), as well your own national and state legislator since state funding is also at risk.

Help spread the word to your family, neighbors & friends!!! Don’t allow George Bush and his Congressional allies to pull the plug on Amtrak by taking away Federal support!!

Don’t Delay; Riders must buy their own tickets or make reservations on line at www.Amtrak.com or at a staffed Amtrak station. The earlier the better; the fare could increase as it gets closer to the departure date or the train could reach capacity. Amtrak officials say that we should not wait for the special discount. Please R.V.S.P. Ed McArdle 313-388-6645 or [email protected] so that we can notify Amtrak to make special arrangements.

For more info contact: TRU (313)963-8872 [email protected] or Sierra Club (313)388-6645 [email protected]

Hey Guys,

Well I have written both California Senator Boxer and Feinstein, as well as Congressman Lewis asking them to do the right thing and vote for full fedreal funding of America's passenger railway. If I get a reply, I'll share it with you. I'm hopeing for the best, but prepaired for the worst as I know this administration wants to kill Amtrak. Can you imagine if every government agency was going to be on the chopping block if it wasn't self supporting and a profitable? NASA? The Forest Service? Shall I go on? Keep a positive thought brothers ...............

Wb

Back