Fumes from the engine leaking into the sleepers?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

inspiration100

Lead Service Attendant
Just wondering if anyone else noticed that they smelled fumes from the train engine coming through the AC when they ride in sleeper. I could be imagining it, but it seems too strong to be mental.

If so, any suggestions on how to get rid of the smells, yet not overheat on a hot day?

I have never noticed diesel fumes . Train staff does request doors be kept closed on the Zephyr, Moffat Tunnel. In NYC the engines switch to electric as exhaust is not allowed in underground areas. Others can explain better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Occasionally I've encountered a smoky, kinda musty smell on a train or just before/after getting on or off, and that smell has nothing to do with the engine--it's linked to the brakes. (Electric trains do it too... The DC metro can be a bad offender.)

Awhile back I rode the CL and a regular sleeper was subbing for a transdorm. I stood at the door looking over the baggage car (poor man's dome). While there was alot of exhaust coming from the locos I did not smell any fumes in the sleeper, it did surprise me. I've seen many a picture of the front of the transdorm covered in diesel soot and wondered the same thing about smell in the sleepers.

Riding southbound out of WAS there is always a strong odor of diesel when going through the tunnel. A few times the Conductor would turn off the ventilation system until the train exited the tunnel.

For me, I love the smell of diesel, reminds me good times past riding trains.

Several times I have noticed diesel exhaust in sleeper. (And I know the difference between diesel and brake smells, I work and ride on diesel boats every day.)

I never figured out where it came from but it was sometimes extremely unpleasant. Maybe because I eat so much diesel smoke at work - now that this topic is here, I am realizing that this is just about the ONLY thing I don't enjoy about riding in sleepers.

Yeah, I especially notice it when sleeping on the top bed since my head is closer to the AC. It's one of my few train complaints, but I don't know how to fix it.

I recall Oldman saying the system pulls in X% of fresh air into the cars. So yes if you are in the tunnel, or got the "right wind", the system is going to suck in the exhaust smell.

I don't mind smell of diesel! I'd rather smell diesel than burning oil!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back