Gainesville, GA station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We are considering a trip on the Crescent. Rather than deal with Atlanta traffic and parking, we were wondering if Gainesville, GA is a good option as our son lives in nearby Athens. I know that it is an interesting old station - still used by the NS, I believe. But, is there free parking and is it safe to leave our car for a couple weeks?

We are considering a trip on the Crescent. Rather than deal with Atlanta traffic and parking, we were wondering if Gainesville, GA is a good option as our son lives in nearby Athens. I know that it is an interesting old station - still used by the NS, I believe. But, is there free parking and is it safe to leave our car for a couple weeks?
We went by the station to check on that same thing and we didn't feell comfoprtable at all leaving our car there. HOWEVER: If you park it at the hospital and just take a cab over, they'll arrange to watch over it for you for the duration. Two officers said to register ast Securioty and let them know where you left it and they would plan more patrols in that area just to be sure. We didn't do that because of other considerations, schedules, etc. and opted to park at Piedmont Hospital for CHEAP per day (5$ ??)

I've parked my car there for one day when I took train 19 to Birmingham and 20 back to Gainesville. I wouldn't recommend leaving it at the station parking lot for weeks on end. The parking lot faces the street and there is absolutely no protection against theft/hit and run.

I lived in the Northern Atlanta suburbs for almost 8 years and often used the Gainesville, GA Station when traveling to and from the north, but never parked there as it didn't seem safe. I would always get taken or picked up. Parking at the hospital sounds like a good option. Gainesville is a nice option to the overcrowded Peachtree Station in Atlanta. It is nice to be able to stand on the platform and watch the train approaching in the distance.

Thanks all. Hospital parking lot sounds good and sure beats downtown Atlanta

Thanks all. Hospital parking lot sounds good and sure beats downtown Atlanta
Which Piedmont Hospital is meant? Is there one in Gainesville? But if you mean the one in ATL near the station,I think you can get about three parking lots closer to the station than Piedmont Hospital Atlanta.Call the basic Amtrak number 800 USA RAIL and talk to a live person.

BTW if you do mean the Piedmont in Atlanta, the traffic there is just as bad as downtown.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back