Gainesville TX Station Question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeM

OBS Chief
Fast question - has anyone ever been to the Gainesville TX station for the Heartland Flyer? Pictures show an old Santa Fe depot that according to what I can find on the internet was extensively remodeled several years ago and is now a museum and city meeting place. Amtrak says there is a waiting room but no toilets or other facilities. Just wondering if it's a Amshed in the parking lot or what to expect.

Also - is the connection between the Heartland Flyer and the Texas Eagle eastbound guaranteed? There seems to be two hours between the arrival and departure, but I don't know what the OTP performance of the Heartland Flyer has been southbound of late. The Eagle remarkably seems to be doing pretty good on schedule for the most part...

Fast question - has anyone ever been to the Gainesville TX station for the Heartland Flyer? Pictures show an old Santa Fe depot that according to what I can find on the internet was extensively remodeled several years ago and is now a museum and city meeting place. Amtrak says there is a waiting room but no toilets or other facilities. Just wondering if it's a Amshed in the parking lot or what to expect.

Also - is the connection between the Heartland Flyer and the Texas Eagle eastbound guaranteed? There seems to be two hours between the arrival and departure, but I don't know what the OTP performance of the Heartland Flyer has been southbound of late. The Eagle remarkably seems to be doing pretty good on schedule for the most part...
The station IS an old Santa Fe Depot. The building has been refurbished. There is a meeting/reception space owned by the city and a small enclosed "museum" that doubles as an enclosed waiting area for pax. No restrooms. Upstairs, if a docent will take you, is a replica room that was used by the "Harvey House Girls" back in the day.

Sounds like a walk-in closet with maybe a bench to sit on, if you're lucky.

Untitled.png

Sounds like a walk-in closet with maybe a bench to sit on, if you're lucky.

Untitled.png
That's what I was thinking... I thought if they went to all the trouble to redo the station they'd have made more of an accommodation for actual rail passengers, but apparently not.
At least a bathroom !
There are restrooms in the main part of the building that can be used IF the main part of the building is open....

Back in 2012 I rode the flyer to make a connection to the Eagle for travel to Longview TX. At Purcell OK the Flyer was stuck for three hours at the station due to a freight train breaking down. Me and several other passengers were taxied from Gainesville to Dallas to make the connection. Southbound passengers were taken all the way to Cleburne TX to connect with the Eagle. This was the first time in Amtrak travel this has happen in ten years of riding.

I was happy to confirm the guaranteed connection with the Texas Eagle; knowing they'll cover that is a major relief. I'll post back any news I find out about the station and connection when I get back in a few weeks. . Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back