Garfield movie

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Guest_smoker

Have you watched Garfield? They had scenes at an Amtrak station and filmed in a dining car! Just watching it brought back memories of my long train ride. They even had the attendant in the dining car asking for your order the same way they really do it on a trip.

I thought the Dash-8s were the highlight, they aren't used much compared to other locomotives so it's great to see them as the locomoives shown :)

Actually if you look closely, it's the same locomotive in all the shots. Also, another error is that they have racks in the bag car, which no bag car that Amtrak owns does.

Not that it looks like a great movie (looks pretty bad), but has anyone noticed the VIA equipment they've been using in the commercials for "Are we there yet?" I've seen it in some of the commercials (Their HEP Cars, much like the Heritage Fleet), its the only reason I'd even pay attention to that commerical.

Disclaimer: I have no intention whatsoever of seeing this movie, nor do I reccommend it by the looks of it.

I watched it this summer when I was still working at the movie theater (since it was free and I had time to kill), and it wasn't too terribly bad. I wouldn't reccomend buying it, but if you have Blockbuster Movie Pass or Netflix get it, watch the Amtrak scene, and be done with it. It's cute for the kids.

It's all about attitude. If you know Garfield and his sarcastic attitude, you will like Garfield in the movie, even if you don't like the movie....and of course the train scenes.

I think if Amtrak would get in the movies more often, it would make people familiar with Amtrak and they would want to ride!

I think what gives me the biggest laugh throughout the scene is that the train is the "New Amsterdam Limited" that is heading to New York- From Los Angelas :D Must be someone's idea of a joke or there wasn't any investigation into actual routes :blink:

efin98 said:
I think what gives me the biggest laugh throughout the scene is that the train is the "New Amsterdam Limited" that is heading to New York- From Los Angelas :D  Must be someone's idea of a joke or there wasn't any investigation into actual routes :blink:

But if I understand your point, would not there be sort of a legal problem with using the name of a real train?

Viewliner said:
Not that it looks like a great movie (looks pretty bad), but has anyone noticed the VIA equipment they've been using in the commercials for "Are we there yet?"  I've seen it in some of the commercials (Their HEP Cars, much like the Heritage Fleet), its the only reason I'd even pay attention to that commerical.
Disclaimer:  I have no intention whatsoever of seeing this movie, nor do I reccommend it by the looks of it.

This is interesting to me. I wonder if this is something I saw a glance of recently which looked to me like two sections of the Canadian lined up across the platform from each other in Vancouver.

I experienced that this September inasmuch as my 30 car train was put on two platforms in Vancouver. Is this the scene you are referring to? Are we talking about the same thing? Would love to see it again. It was off the screen before I even noticed.

Bill Haithcoat said:
efin98 said:
I think what gives me the biggest laugh throughout the scene is that the train is the "New Amsterdam Limited" that is heading to New York- From Los Angelas :D  Must be someone's idea of a joke or there wasn't any investigation into actual routes :blink:

But if I understand your point, would not there be sort of a legal problem with using the name of a real train?
There would be if Amtrak didn't give the OK for the use of the name, but creating a new name out of the blue covers Amtrak and the movie from any association with a real train. My main point was about the train being a straight train to New York, not something real- at least not in quite a long time.

efin98 said:
Bill Haithcoat said:
efin98 said:

There would be if Amtrak didn't give the OK for the use of the name, but creating a new name out of the blue covers Amtrak and the movie from any association with a real train. My main point was about the train being a straight train to New York, not something real- at least not in quite a long time.

Understood. I thought later that that may have been what you meant.

For the record, there never has been a solid through train from NY to LA though there have been plenty of through pullman cars exchanged with other trains in Chicago.

For a short while, under Amtrak, the Crescent and the Sunset Limited had a through sleeper and coach from Boston,not just NYC, to NOL, and on to LA. Those same cars have sometimes run NYC to LA and also WAS to LA. (both Amtrak and pre-Amtrak) But no through full train.

Quite a number of through cars, various cities and routes, through the years, mostly pre-Amtrak.

But the Sunset Limited, when it was extended to Miami from LA to NOL,(under Amtrak) is the only true full length trans-con we have ever had. And of course now that iis marred by its originating only in Orlando.

It is still transcontinental. Transcontinental means to run the length of the continent, which it completes when it gets to JAX. While Miami is bigger than Orlando, its still a Transcon.

battalion51 said:
It is still transcontinental. Transcontinental means to run the length of the continent, which it completes when it gets to JAX. While Miami is bigger than Orlando, its still a Transcon.
You are completely correct. Just my way of bemoaning the fact that it no longer goes all the way to Miami.

It is just that I was so pleased and so excited back when it was extended all the way to Miami. At that time the puncuality had not become so bad.

Immediately little visions began dancing in my head about someday being able to afford to board it in Miami and riding it round trip to LA, all the way, both ways.

Never happened.

Course I still could ride it all the way Orlando to LA and back but we all know how the o.t. thing is these days....probably take about two weeks...........you know what I mean.

But sure, just going to LA to JAX by itself (even without going to Orlando). does make it a true transcon, the only one there has ever been.

Back