Gary. and Elkhart, Indiana

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PacificStarlight

Train Attendant
When I was recently reading the capitol limited route guide and saw gary Indiana along with elkhart being the inspiration for the music man, was i the only one singing gary,In and 76 trombones?
help.gif

When I was recently reading the capitol limited route guide and saw gary Indiana along with elkhart being the inspiration for the music man, was i the only one singing gary,In and 76 trombones?
help.gif
Aloha

I do the world a favor ... I don't sing! I love that movie and the train scene that starts it.

"You gotta know the territory." Of course, the song "Gary, Indiana" figures prominently in "The Music Man," though Meredith Wilson (the composer) based much of the musical on his home town of Mason City, IA.

Love the barbershop quartet's rendition of "Lida Rose."

Ocala Mike

Whenever I travel this route I sing or hum "Never Can Say Goodbye" or "Don't Stop Until You get Enough" and of course "Billy Jean", to reference the other singer and group from Gary Indiana. I leave it to you to guess.

"You gotta know the territory." Of course, the song "Gary, Indiana" figures prominently in "The Music Man," though Meredith Wilson (the composer) based much of the musical on his home town of Mason City, IA.

Love the barbershop quartet's rendition of "Lida Rose."

Ocala Mike
Marian is onto "Gary Conservatory of Music, Class of '05" Prof. Harold Hill's scam when she discovers that Gary was founded in 1906.

Ocala Mike's right about Mason City. I think they still have a "River City" festival for bands.

Don't recall Elkhart, Indiana being mentioned in the musical, but Elkhart was and still is the center of band instrument manufacturing in the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back