G'day :)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I'm new to this forum and thought i would say hi. Well i just booked my flights to USA from Australia and I'm planning a Amtrak trip and i had a few questions about the Southwest Chief train from Vegas to Chicago.

I just wanted to know is it worth getting the sleeper car? and second of all, i can't seem to locate on google maps where the Las Vegas train station is! Can anyone give me some help with that :) )

Thanks

Hello, I'm new to this forum and thought i would say hi. Well i just booked my flights to USA from Australia and I'm planning a Amtrak trip and i had a few questions about the Southwest Chief train from Vegas to Chicago.

I just wanted to know is it worth getting the sleeper car? and second of all, i can't seem to locate on google maps where the Las Vegas train station is! Can anyone give me some help with that :) )

Thanks
Aloha

Welcome to the Forum. You will get more answers in the main Amtrak Forum, but if you found the Amtrak station on a Google map it wouldn't help as the connection to the Southwest Chief is the Airport Van.

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Most of the more vocal folks on here would say the sleeper is absolutely worth it.

However, without knowing what sort of costs you're looking at paying it's hard for me to give a strong answer either way.

There is no active train station anywhere near Las Vegas.

You will have to take a bus from the airport down to Kingman Arizona in the middle of the night.

I will also say welcome and I'm going to move this over to the main forum will you will get more answers and suggestions.

Thanks
Hello! Welcome to the Amtrak forum! You can post introductions in the New Members section, you know.

The Southwest Chief does not run from Las Vegas, Nevada to Chicago. It does serve Las Vegas, New Mexico, which is just a small town. The Desert Wind from Los Angeles to Chicago used to serve LV, NV until it was discontinued in May 1997. There is now no Amtrak service to LV, NV. The service shown on the website and brocheres is for the Thrueay shuttle from the LV, NV airport to Kingman. Many people have ridden it, and it should be OK.

It is worth betting a sleeper because it gets you free meals in the Diner and access to the shower and First Class lounges in many large stations.

If you are really looking for the LV, NM station, please let us know.

Thanks
Hello! Welcome to the Amtrak forum! You can post introductions in the New Members section, you know.
Jacjson did post this in the New Members section, The Moderating team decided to move it here.
The Southwest Chief does not run from Las Vegas, Nevada to Chicago. It does serve Las Vegas, New Mexico, which is just a small town. The Desert Wind from Los Angeles to Chicago used to serve LV, NV until it was discontinued in May 1997. There is now no Amtrak service to LV, NV. The service shown on the website and brocheres is for the Thrueay shuttle from the LV, NV airport to Kingman. Many people have ridden it, and it should be OK.

It is worth betting a sleeper because it gets you free meals in the Diner and access to the shower and First Class lounges in many large stations.

If you are really looking for the LV, NM station, please let us know.
Aloha

Amtrak does serve Las Vegas Nevada. But not by rail. Amtrak provides either a Van to Kingman, Az or Bus to LAUS. The Southwest Chief that Jackson refers to, runs from LAUS through Kingman to Chicago. So it is possible to leave fron LV, NV to Chicago.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back