German version of a Roomette

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wkaemena

Lead Service Attendant
On thursday night I took a german night train Talgo (similar to the Cascades) from Hamburg to Munich. It had as a cheap alternative a 2nd class sleeper. Compare it with a Amtrak Roomette it is remarkable similar.

German Roomette and aisle between the roomettes and the Talgo Restaurant car

So remember when coming over to Germany you can feel like home in a Roomette..... :p

Wow. Very nice. This reminds me of the Australian train thread from several weeks ago. Both Australia and Germany seem to have much nicer roomettes than here in the US. Although the Australian system seems to be geared more towards tourism than basic transportation, I would think that Germany's rail system is mainly for transportation rather than tourism. Would you agree?

On thursday night I took a german night train Talgo (similar to the Cascades) from Hamburg to Munich. It had as a cheap alternative a 2nd class sleeper. Compare it with a Amtrak Roomette it is remarkable similar.

So remember when coming over to Germany you can feel like home in a Roomette..... :p
can you use a different link it wants me to install missing plug ins

Wonderful photos, as usual why is the USA so far behind and without a clue? Puts us to shame any day. If they can build nice rail cars why can't we. Oh well perhaps we don't want to pay workers anymore!

Wonderful photos, as usual why is the USA so far behind and without a clue? Puts us to shame any day. If they can build nice rail cars why can't we. Oh well perhaps we don't want to pay workers anymore!
Don't forget the Superliners are from 70th and these trains/ interior was done in late 90th.

In 1991 we started with a net of high speed trains in Germany ( high speed > 200km/h > 125mph ) ( 60 complete 12 car units Intercity Express Train ICE)

in 2006/7 these still modern trains were totally refurbished. Compare the train interior before and after refurbishment on my website

can you use a different link it wants me to install missing plug ins
well the best way to see it is installing the free Quicktime. :rolleyes: Alternatively you can open them with Flash here the links.

http://homepage.mac.com/wkaemena/FS/DB/Tal.../index_swf.html

Don't forget the Superliners are from 70th and these trains/ interior was done in late 90th.

In 1991 we started with a net of high speed trains in Germany ( high speed > 200km/h > 125mph ) ( 60 complete 12 car units Intercity Express Train ICE)

in 2006/7 these still modern trains were totally refurbished. Compare the train interior before and after refurbishment on my website
All of the ICE trains are a pleasure to travel on, but the ICE3 sets are just wonderful. Possibly the best high speed train in Europe. If you are lucky enough to get a seat in one of the leading cars, you can sit right behind the drivers cab and get a grandstand view as you wizz along at up to 300kph (186mph). Had a trip back from Nuremberg to Cologne a few years ago and sat in the seat behind the driver all the way. The run from Frankfurt to Cologne along the high speed line was probably the most exhilarating train journey I have ever had!

1 question about those Talgo "roomettes", do they have a door on the compartment?, cant see one on there and not been on those trains (yet)

I got a cab ride on one those ICE 3's back in 2005 between Cologne and Frankfurt. That was an awesome trip. This guy came out of the cab, looked us drooling railfans, and said to me, do you want to have a look. I say yes. I got my dad, and we went in the cab together. The engineer was very nice. AT one point as we travled along at 100 plus miles an hour, my dad asked a question. The engineer swiveled around with his back to the window, and answered the question. My dad about **** a brick . . . but the train is operated by computers and engineer is there to take control as needed. It was wild.

I got a cab ride on one those ICE 3's back in 2005 between Cologne and Frankfurt. That was an awesome trip. This guy came out of the cab, looked us drooling railfans, and said to me, do you want to have a look. I say yes. I got my dad, and we went in the cab together. The engineer was very nice. AT one point as we travled along at 100 plus miles an hour, my dad asked a question. The engineer swiveled around with his back to the window, and answered the question. My dad about **** a brick . . . but the train is operated by computers and engineer is there to take control as needed. It was wild.
Same here! Had it happen a few times now, both on ICE and on the InterCity push pull train sets. Very friendly drivers and if you let them know you are a railway worker then they cant do enough for you!

Lots of fun!

1 question about those Talgo "roomettes", do they have a door on the compartment?, cant see one on there and not been on those trains (yet)
These "roomettes" have only a curtain and they are not sold as "sleeper" but equivalent to a more simpler "couchette"

All of the ICE trains are a pleasure to travel on, but the ICE3 sets are just wonderful. Possibly the best high speed train in Europe. If you are lucky enough to get a seat in one of the leading cars, you can sit right behind the drivers cab and get a grandstand view as you wizz along at up to 300kph (186mph). Had a trip back from Nuremberg to Cologne a few years ago and sat in the seat behind the driver all the way. The run from Frankfurt to Cologne along the high speed line was probably the most exhilarating train journey I have ever had!
Here you can see the 2nd class seats behind the driver's cab This interactive picture was taken on an ICE T ( tilting) train but the seat / driver cab arrangement is almost the same.

And

you can see , hear and feel the speed as we are zipping along next to an Autobahn at 186 mph :blink: . Movie was taken with my MacBook built in camera while the MacBook Notebook was standing on the tray table. I was sitting just behind the drivers cab in an ICE3.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here you can see the 2nd class seats behind the driver's cab This interactive picture was taken on an ICE T ( tilting) train but the seat / driver cab arrangement is almost the same.
That's the first time I have seen that compartment empty! Normally you struggle to get a seat in there, what with assorted railfans and closet railfans pretending to be 'normal' passengers!

That's the first time I have seen that compartment empty! Normally you struggle to get a seat in there, what with assorted railfans and closet railfans pretending to be 'normal' passengers!
It was an early sunday morning from Hamburg to Berlin and in fact it was the rear cabin.... :lol:

Anyone else notice those 'jump seats' in the aisle. Once again, something that is great, but would probably never fly here in the lawsuit happy USA. :(

Is the second, upper berth sold separately, like the Pullman company used to do back in the day? In other words, would DB have a stranger paired with you in a second class sleeper?

On Amtrak, one gets the entire roomette, even if only one fare is purchased. Thanks for sharing the QT VR pictures.

I don't know how much "better" it is, seeing as it isn't completely private. It seems more like a section sleeper.

Is the second, upper berth sold separately, like the Pullman company used to do back in the day? In other words, would DB have a stranger paired with you in a second class sleeper?
On Amtrak, one gets the entire roomette, even if only one fare is purchased. Thanks for sharing the QT VR pictures.
as I mentioned it is in fact not a sleeper but a so called couchette = simple bunk to lay flat.. but this is for sure a nice one.... so that means that you are with mixed people there even mixed gender.... for your information the accommodation fare is about 30Euro a night only.

The train looks modern and clean, the photo technology is brilliant..it must be a special camera.

There is a network of Night Trains across europe.. One can visit Amsterdam during the daytime, hop on a sleeper train in the evening,

and wake up in Prague for the next days sightseeing, maybe Basel, Cologne, Copenhagen next day. Prices tend to be about60-80 Euro's per night

to share 4 or 6 to a sleeper compartment.

This is another future trip to plan for myself!.. meanwhile, back to Amtrak..

Ed B)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back