Getting a Amtrak book and figuring out routes

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Guest_Gingee

I was wondering how you go about getting a Amtrak book. I am trying to figure routes like Peoria, IL to Florida and other things. I tried calling Amtrak a couple months ago and they never sent me a book. Is there a secret?

Hmm, perhaps it was an oversight, or your request got lost in the shuffle. In any event, you can go to Amtrak's website, and there's a link to order stuff. They'll send it to you free.

Here's a direct link: Order Amtrak Publications

The two important ones to order are the Amtrak system timetable (second one down), and the 2005/06 Amtrak America guide (last one on the list). You can order the other ones as well, if you want, but the timetable and Amtrak America guide are the best for seeing the entire system and all options available.

If you're still planning on taking the Empire Builder, order the Empire Builder magazine as well.

You can more reliably request one through the website at amtrak.com by going to the bottom of the amtrak front page, clicking press and media, then click order amtrak publications, (Amtrak America is the book you need and get a timetable while your at it) or try this link: Amtrak Publications

Another quicker way is to go to a staffed station, they should have the Amtrak America Travel Guide or if you have an authorized Amtrak Travel Agent near your, they should have one--look in the phone book.

To echo what people have said about the web Publications Order Form, a couple of weeks I requested some of the publications on the page and got them in the mail very quickly, about 4 days later. There's a sticker on the cover of the Amtrak America book warning you that some schedules on selected pages are wrong due to the Acela outage.

For those keeping score, my previous post was incorrect as it is the Amtrack System Timetable and not Amtrak America that has incorrect schedules.

Back