Getting from Accessible Bedroom to Observation Car

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have booked the Accessible Bedroom for the Empire Builder from Chicago to Seattle. I know that I cannot use my usual wheeled rollator to navigate the train. However, one of the best things about taking the train is the people we meet. Is it feasible to use a standard, no frills walker to get to the Dining and Observation cars?

I have booked the Accessible Bedroom for the Empire Builder from Chicago to Seattle. I know that I cannot use my usual wheeled rollator to navigate the train. However, one of the best things about taking the train is the people we meet. Is it feasible to use a standard, no frills walker to get to the Dining and Observation cars?
Probably not. Besides steps from the Accessible Bedroom, there potential obsticles passing passing through the vestibuls between cars. Beyond that, you need to compare the aisle width to the width of the walker.
BTW, my wife uses a wheeled rollator and we are usually in an upper level bedroom. We leave it in the luggage storage area on the lower level (or where ever the SCA decides to put it).

Last edited:
Problem not unique to rail travel - same with the airlines.
Some spaces in the premium cabin and near the entry/exit doors
offer generous space but it quickly gets tighter going from car/cabin/coach
classes.
But wheelchairs and commercial made walkers (i.e. 24 inch width)
just don't work in coach cabins.
Airlines use a stair chair of custom configuration for hc guests -
But said chair is not carried in flight only for gate use.
Someone handy with crafts could make or alter a walker to an
18 inch width* - but still yet the semi spiral stairs on some Amtrak
coaches just would be prohibitive.
* smaller aircraft/older train cars may not even be able to use the18 inch.
Passengers with mobility issues maybe confined to the lower
bottom level except for i.e. the Alaska RR Gold Star Dome and
Rocky Mountaineer dome cars.
Possible solution to use a cane with a frog footprint (3-4 pegs instead of one) ?

Someone handy with crafts could make or alter a walker to an
18 inch width* - but still yet the semi spiral stairs on some Amtrak
coaches just would be prohibitive.

Umm ... exactly how wide are the semi-spiral stairs in a Superliner sleeper car? Are they going to cause a problem for the more Rubenesque among us? Asking for a friend! ;) (Sorry if this seems off-topic, but it is an accessibility issue for some of us.)

OK - once on the top (upper) level of the superliner cars moving about the train still has the
problem of moving between cars and the automatic doors. An 18 inch walker should just
fit the bill maybe with some mobility issues in the SSL ?

Now
You are boarded on the lower level and wish to go topside - - -
If that custom walker can collapse into a dual cane may work ascending/descending
those "square" tight semi-spiral staircase ?
One problem is the multiple short stair planks cut at a 45 degree angle making this rough.
And then the train movement tossing the balancing body around.
Wish I had pictures (looking for diagrams to post) to show this better.

It is not perfect but a mobility impaired person with resolve maybe able to muster this.
An assistant companion aide would be the insurance that this be done safely.

Thinking of that custom walker if it could be split into two canes maybe a solution for some.

When walking around on the same level - Always be looking for something rigid and
stable to grab onto rather than the walker.

When I was younger and skinnier I could get up the stairs with forearm crutches. They fold so I can carry them on my wheelchair or in luggage to get to the train unassisted. A standard folding walker with skids, not wheels, would work for someone who is good with it. In tight areas, you wrap the walker around your body with the handles front and rear, and hold the handle in front and the crossbar now on the side. For the stairs, fold the walker so it is easy to carry in one hand and use the very solid banister. The vestibules between cars are the trickiest. Move one body part at a time: hand off walker and on grab bar, other hand moves walker forward, move one foot to solid plate, move other foot, etc. It is easier than getting off those moving walkways airports have.

As to transferring to the cafe car on superliners, I did it once. You can only transfer at stations where the train stops for several minutes. You can eat (and pay for) cafe food but not get your included sleeper meal there. The cafes do not all have operating restrooms and they are not accessible anyway. If you want to try this, ask your SCA when you board to set it up. A scenic section is best because the cafe windows are so much bigger than the H-room windows.

Officially, there's an option to transfer between your room and the lower level of the lounge at scheduled stops, but I haven't heard of anyone doing it.
https://www.amtrak.com/planning-boo...ervices-for-passengers-with-a-disability.html
This is interesting. I wonder what this service provides? Since it seems to be required to happen at stops and aimed at wheelchair customers, I am thinking the wheelchair must be brought out of the sleeper car onto the platform. How does it get from the platform to the top floor of the Dining car mentioned in the link? A large ramp outside somehow? Does the dumbwaiter support a wheelchair? Are the steps wider/easier to navigate in a Dining car? I can see the SSL lower level cafe would be a better choice to go to for this I suppose …

Back