Getting Furloughed :(

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saxman

Engineer
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member
Well its been announced my airline will be furloughing even more pilots in January. So it looks like I'll be out of a job this time around. I was lucky to miss the first and second round, but even more are coming. This Delta-Northwest merger is really screwing us over.

On the bright side, I'm planning on a massive Amtrak trip after I'm out. Using points and paying for some parts, I'm going to take a round the country trip starting in Dallas to San Antonio to New Orleans to Washington DC to Chicago to San Fran to Seattle to Chicago. Then back to DC on the Cardinal, up to Boston, then the Lake Shore back to Chicago and the Texas Eagle back home to Dallas. Not sure of the dates yet, but its going to be a blast! And will hopefully keep my mind off the fact that I don't have a job.

WOW! I feel for you. I can still remember when things weren't so good on the RR. I'd call the RR (no text or cell in the cave days) and the caller would blurt "You're cut-off (laid-off)" and slam the phone down. Pretty hollow feeling to which I can identify.

Saxman, Chris, I'm very sorry - though not terribly surprised - to learn of this. Looks like you'll have a lot of company on the soup line. :D Your Amtrak plan sounds like a fine way to celebrate your newly-found, if involuntary, free time.

Keep us informed.

That's terrible. At least you're making the best of it.

However, your week will get worse on Saturday after the Tide Rolls over Auburn. ;) Hopefully the trip takes your mind off of everything.

Back