Getting hired by Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey all. Recently joined the forums and am liking the content.
So I’ve been applying to Amtrak pretty steady for 3 years. Thorough these years I have risen up the ranks at my current job and although I'm still seasonal I've been pretty much employed throughout these years with no gaps. I have grown to be proficient in operating many different types of machinery and crafts such as light maintenance and gardening/arbor work. Thing is I'm burnt out of being seasonal/ jumping around employers to stay working and want out, I need to start my life and have a career with good wage progression, and some upward movement. I want to bring the same energy I had at my current place.

Thus far I have taken the per-employment test for track man, passed and heard nothing back. My status some time ago for another position also changed to "we look forward to discussing this"... ( not exact wording) and as excited as I was for the opportunity to interview I hear nothing back. So this leads me to my questions.

What does that we look forward to discussing this status update actually mean.
And secondly, how can one make themselves a great applicant to Amtrak? Who does Amtrak hire?

Specifically I apply to coach cleaner, trackman and helper, utility worker positions. I recently updated my resume/ cover letter to reflect my new promotion and wanted to re-word things a bit.

We were informed, at a conference today, that until recently even the HR dept. has been understaffed. Things have been rectified for the most part and more aggressive hiring should proceed accordingly. Certainly send in a new updated resume to keep your name in front of them!

As always I will.

Back