Getting off at South Station with Back Bay Ticket

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just confirmed by SEPTA that this is still possible:

Amtrak Tickets | Both Amtrak paper tickets and e-Tickets, purchased for the same date of travel and presented for inspection, will be accepted as a fare to ride on Regional Rail trains between 30th Street Station and Jefferson Station. Customers with e-Ticket confirmations should present their personal device (iPad, laptop computer, smart phone, etc.) to the SEPTA Key Fare Ambassador at the station and the Conductor on the train for visual confirmation of the Amtrak fare.

I was in Philadelphia a few years ago and managed to make use of this service, riding a Septa commuter train from Market East/Jefferson to 30th Street to connect to #66 to Boston. But when I showed my paper Amtrak ticket to the Septa gate attendant (I didn't know she was called the "Key Fare Ambassador"), she gave me a dubious look. After I explained that this ticket was supposed to entitle me to free passage to 30th Street, she studied the ticket and then shrugged and let me through, but I had the distinct feeling she had never heard of this policy -- nor encountered anyone else trying to make use of it.

Back Bay being one of the richest neighborhoods in Boston, it’s rather odd the station is so bad.

Has some of the worse air quality in Boston (and in the country for stations). But it’s our fault for taking so long to electrify our lines, or at least the lines going though back bay. Hell, I’d even pass for electrifying the line that is electrified.

The area around the station is fine. In fact, on my last trip, I got off at Back Bay, even though I had a ticket to South Station,, because it was closer to my hotel.

However, if I were heading outbound, I'm not sure I'd like to to it. The waiting area is a bit spartan, including hard granite benches to sit on while you wait. The departure board doesn't show Amtrak trains, only the MTBA regional rail. Not sure how you're supposed to know when it's time to go on the platform. Also, you have a better chance of getting good seats if you board at South Station, the origination of all of the Amtrak trains heading south and west. On the other hand, South Station is pretty much a construction site now, so unless you have lounge access, that's pretty spartan, too. But they do have redcaps and a departure board that shows the Amtrak trains.
I've done it. The Worcester Line / Lake Shore Limited platform at Back Bay looks like something out of an urban-decay horror movie. Down the elevator, long walk along the platform, up a ramp to the raised level-boarding area at the end of the platform. One bench. I watched the rats, who looked fat and healthy. I was fine, but someone who looks like more of a crime target might not be comfortable. (I apparently give off a vibe which causes criminals to cross the street to avoid me.) No live train status information either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back