Getting to America... will we, won't we?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, and given that we live in an area with relatively low plane density, we do often see north/south, high flying jets overhead that could easily be intercontinental polar route flights. If you’re flying over open valleys with conifer forested mountains and lots of snow, it might be eastern Oregon or northern Idaho.

Will you be home by this coming Sunday? We'll wave in your direction if so.

Will you be home by this coming Sunday? We'll wave in your direction if so.
You will have the very good moving map display on the screen in front of you or on your smartphone/iPad/Kindle depending on how you connect with the IFE (In Flight Entertainment). That will show you more or less precisely what you are flying over.

Last edited:
I was wondering if the route you are traveling in your camper van was a major Highway, or a more scenic around about type road.

That route was a mix, about 2/3 autoroute and 1/3 national and departmental roads. It was an attempt to combine a rapid journey with some of what we think as the best of France,
In the end we didn't take it, instead by taking our regular route round the eastern side of Paris we used to use for business we shaved an hour off that time and that hour later became important.
If we were taking that approximate route just for pleasure without a time restraint it would run further west in places and use more N and D roads. This 3rd route is our idea of the epitome of the image we have in our minds of what makes up non flashy, non touristic heart of France. Very nice to visit or pass through without quite understanding why.

Last edited:
On Sunday, I hope to be on the CZ somewhere in Colorado, but I’m a little concerned right now, because my reservation for Friday’s LSL is currently saying “canceled.” Stay tuned to the cancellations thread…
Greetings from Wintery Texas Jennifer!

It looks like most forms of Transportation in the Northeast,South,Midwest are being Shut down as the Massive Winter Storm spreads its Nasty Wings!🥶

Hopefully you'll get rebooked with your choice of Routes and Rooms and be home by early next week!😊

Bon Voyage!

On Sunday, I hope to be on the CZ somewhere in Colorado, but I’m a little concerned right now, because my reservation for Friday’s LSL is currently saying “canceled.” Stay tuned to the cancellations thread…

You are having a tough time on your travels this year but getting back to your family and then back home will be worth it. You are obviously up to the challenge, so just bon chance from both of us.

Moderator's Note: Several posts pertaining to In Flight Entertainment Systems have been moved to their own thread at:

https://www.amtraktrains.com/threads/in-flight-entertainment-systems-ife.81033/

Oh dear. This thread doesn't appear to be working, it's becoming a bit disjointed and I'm no longer sure which part of this travelogue to include or not.
I think it's best to avoid any further controversy so I'll just post the final positive or negative outcome when that time arrives.

I don't wish to question the moderators judgement, I gave my opinion yesterday that they should be supported, but this thread seems to be tripping itself up and the story isn't such a big deal anyway.

When I scanned this thread a little earlier it felt as though I was in the wrong place. Don't get me wrong, both Rosie and I enjoy a discussion about the QM2 as along with others (Caravanman is one) we have been lucky to have made the Transatlantic crossing and happy to swap opinions and information, but as PennyK writes it is out of place in a train related travelogue.

Maintaining this forum is a tough job, we are lucky to have Penny and Jis keeping us all in order and should go with them. Now where has she buried that QM2 thread hahaha.
Here's the new QM2 thread: Transatlantic Cruises

Fit to Fly tests were taken today, we both received negative results so early tomorrow are headed for London Heathrow and on to San Francisco.
We're slightly incredulous that this moment has arrived, it's been a long week, but very very happy to be able to meet up with friends again and meet some new ones.

Thank you Betty, and they let us into the country too, that's a bonus. Saying that we had to show more documentation getting into a Pizza place this evening than at border control, that happened only after we had paid though.

There was a strange event with sunset as we were leaving the European airspace but this is not the thread to write about it. Once we are settled in LA I'll find somewhere on the forum to post that story.

Back