Glacier at Glacier park

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

access bob

Lead Service Attendant
May be a dumb question but is there any point while on the EB that one can actually "see" a glacier while going by glacier park???

Bob

May be a dumb question but is there any point while on the EB that one can actually "see" a glacier while going by glacier park???
Bob
No. But soon there won't be any glaciers in Glacier National Park, so it's a moot point. This summer the rangers were saying the end date might be as soon as 2020.

In any case, Glacier National Park should be called Glaciated National Park. It's the landscapes left by the glaciers that are so cool. Especially since the present-day glaciers only date from the the Little Ice Age 600-700 years ago.

Bob

Probably the easiest glacier to see is Jackson Glacier. You can easily see it from the Going to the Sun Road. I believe that you can take one of the jammer cars from East Glacier up to the GSR.

if it is clear and daylight you will see many beautiful snowcapped peaks as you travel up marias pass along the southern border of the park
thanks was hoping I could see at least one glacier. unfortunately time will not permit me to stop on this trip, much as I would like to.

Bob

You'll have better luck in the winter where the glaciers will be gussied up with good old fashioned snow.

But yes, global warming has made it moot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back