Glacier Park

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amtrak George

Lead Service Attendant
Looking for a visit via the Builder to Glacier Park in early to mid August. Any advice as to which Amtrak stop and what lodging is the best? Was considering Izaak Walton Inn at Essex, MT but would also like to consider various options. Wife would like to be able to access tours of the scenic areas etc. Thanks!

There is the MacDonald Lodge, I believe that would be the West Glacier stop. You can arrange for the red bus tours into the park from there.

Im sure someone will correct me if I am wrong. I saw that info in another thread about Glacier. Its definitely beautiful. I have been there twice, not on Amtrak, but with my parents.

And then there is the Glacier Park Lodge in East Glacier. It's also very nice and equally accessible to red bus tours. I have stayed in Glacier Park once, at East Glacier. There are more mom and pop type motels in East Glacier: my kind of lodging! :p . I have never stayed at West Glacier but know it's a very nice area.

And then there is the Glacier Park Lodge in East Glacier. It's also very nice and equally accessible to red bus tours. I have stayed in Glacier Park once, at East Glacier. There are more mom and pop type motels in East Glacier: my kind of lodging! :p . I have never stayed at West Glacier but know it's a very nice area.
I have stayed at both Isaak Walton & the Glacier Park Lodge. Both are unique experiences, but if you want the red bus tours and the National Park experience, I recomment the Glacier Park Lodge. If you want the railfan experience, Isaak Walton cant be beat (And I'm an NP fan endorsing a GN hotel!!) One of these days I want to stay in the locomotive suite there.

Izaak Walton is my favorite. Of course, the trains are great, but they also have outstanding food and a friendly, relaxed atmosphere that's unmatched. And you can get red bus tours from there.

Izaak Walton is my favorite. Of course, the trains are great, but they also have outstanding food and a friendly, relaxed atmosphere that's unmatched. And you can get red bus tours from there.
I agree that the food and atmosphere are great. If I remember correctly (and its been a few years) I had an absolutely wonderful Elk steak with a local huckleberry sauce. MMMMMM. I also remember some house smoked trout.

If you stay in Essex, don't forget your scanner. There's always a good bit of switching there when we've visited. It's a flag stop and the Amtrak platform is close by, but the hotel sends a van anyway. They have several cabooses (cabeese?) converted to rooms, and also one diesel locomotive. Pricey, but fun-looking and next to McDonald Lodge, the best fireplace in the park IMO.

I also suggest the Izaak Walton Inn. I've only stayed there once but it was great like what others have said. It's kept clean and comfortable.

The Izaak Walton Inn is a very nice place, I'm sure, but it's not very convenient if you actually want to go into Glacier National Park. Well, unless you're planning to hike into the back country. If you don't want to rent a car, Lake MacDonald lodge will pick you up at the West Glacier station, and you can catch the free shuttle bus over Going to the Sun Road from the lodge, since it's actually in the park.

We've never stayed at the Izaak Walton, but have eaten there. Food is excellent. And it is fairly close to the recently upgraded platform (used to be nothing but elevated dirt, but it's now concrete I believe)....

I have stayed at East Glacier and Izaak I prefer Izaak out of the way it is mid park and was able to rent a car from there and go where I wanted.Lots of train activity also the old GN water tower still stands holds water for firefighting. you can get the red car tour from there the people at the desk will be glad to help . Fine food and a great time Not to far from Goat Lick should take this in look under the bridge on the way out goats stay under there can get real close.Lots of thing to do at West Glacier Horseback Riding if you like that kind of thing I spent a day in the backcountry what fun. but anywhere you stay there things to do and see

The three times I've been out there, we stayed in Whitefish.

We've rented a car and it's at the station, and also, we have stayed at Big Mtn. and one of the resort out there has cabin that you can rent. It is nice to be there, and it's a quiet area there.

Drive to Glacier takes about 45 min.

I like the cabin ideal, since it has a kitchen, and it's cheaper than going out to eat all the time.

The three times I've been out there, we stayed in Whitefish.
We've rented a car and it's at the station, and also, we have stayed at Big Mtn. and one of the resort out there has cabin that you can rent. It is nice to be there, and it's a quiet area there.

Drive to Glacier takes about 45 min.

I like the cabin ideal, since it has a kitchen, and it's cheaper than going out to eat all the time.

Just discovered the Lake McDonald Lodge has rooms (Snyder House Rooms) for $75 P/N! They were probably the staff quarters at one time!?!?! They're like Hostels, I guess & if they were closer to the lodge I would try it out. I just cant walk that far!!! Sounds like a plan though!!!

RF

Stayed at the Izaak Walton on a trip in July 2009 with my at the time fiancee. Thinking of making plans for a return trip this summer with the now wife. I just have to figure out my finances since I lost my conductor job with NS a few months ago, though I have my previous job back again for the time being till the coal market picks back up.

If you have any interest in trains, for a first trip to the area, I don't think you can go wrong with the Izaak Walton. Just make sure to get a rental when you make your reservations. I remember seeing the Red Jammer Buses stop there too. Food was top notch as well.

We have stayed in Whitefish, Apgar Village (west side of park), East Glacier, even hiked to Sperry Chalet and stayed overnight once, and this summer we plan to say in Swiftcurrent Motor Lodge in Many Glacier. We've never stayed at the Izaak Walton Inn. I believe it's about a 30 minute drive to the west entrance of the park and about an 1.5 hour + drive to Many Glacier on the east side. Most people consider Many Glacier the most scenic part of Glacier National Park. There's also more opportunity to see wildlife in Many Glacier.

Usually, we prefer to stay in East Glacier Park at a small mom and pop called Jacobson's Cottages. There's a car rental right across the street from the train station in the grocery store. You are just a few miles to the Two Medicine entrance of the park - one of the least visited areas, but nonetheless a beautiful area of the park. It's about a 50-60 minute drive to the St. Mary/Many Glacier area from East Glacier Park. The Many Glacier Lodge would be a spectacular place to stay - although I've heard the rooms are old, when we were there 2 summers ago they were renovating a lot of the rooms. The views of Swiftcurrent Lake are spectacular and they have a musician entertaining at night.

Most people dont' realize just how spread out Glacier National Park is and depending on what the main focus of your visit will be, it does matter which side of the park you stay. Here's some good general information about the park:

http://www.hikinginglacier.com/about-glacier-national-park.htm

August is a perfect time to visit the park, you will fall in love with Glacier!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back