Glenview, IL Parking

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

indymoon

I would like to hear comments on the availability, security and cost of parking at or nearby the Glenview, IL station north of Chicago. I am considering parking there for 3 days/nights.

I would like to hear comments on the availability, security and cost of parking at or nearby the Glenview, IL station north of Chicago. I am considering parking there for 3 days/nights.
My parents live in the neighboring suburb to Glenview, so I travel out of there all the time... either coming down from Milwaukee on the Hiawatha... or using it as a base for daytrips around Illinois on Amtrak. The parking is secure -- never had a problem there. Availabilty can be a problem... as probably 95% of the parking is taken up by Metra commuters... so try and get there early if you can (obviously you can't help this if you are on an afternoon/evening train out). There is FREE parking along the tracks if you are taking Amtrak. Show the agent your ticket and they give you a parking pass. They DONT really advertise this, but it's policy. There is also FREE parking along the tracks between 4PM and 5AM for anyone. Otherwise, I think you need to be a Glenview resident and buy a permit to park there. There are some pay spots, but I never really dealt with this as I always take Amtrak in/out of GLN and can park for free (yes, even if it's a jaunt to Chicago on the Hiawatha).

I will be arriving mid-afternoon on a Sunday (perhaps Monday). Is parking generally available? The Amtrak website says there are only 4 long-term spots. I would hate to make plans and not be able to find a spot.

I will be arriving mid-afternoon on a Sunday (perhaps Monday). Is parking generally available? The Amtrak website says there are only 4 long-term spots. I would hate to make plans and not be able to find a spot.
You should have no problem finding a spot on Sunday... Monday (after like 9-10AM) might be another story.

There might be only 4 official "long term" spots, but you can use any of the commuter parking (along the west side of the tracks on Lehigh Ave), as long as you get a parking pass from the ticket agent. Just show them your tickets and they will give you a blue parking pass that you tape on your back windshield for however long you will be traveling on Amtrak. Again, they don't advertise this very well, but I do it atleast 2-3x a month.

Hope that helps.

Rob

Just wanted to say thanks as well, as my family is kicking around a trip to Portland, getting on at Glenview seemed preferable to our other options with parking as the only concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back