Going on California Zephyr

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

deafrailfan

Train Attendant
Hello,

This July, I am taking California Zephyr train from Bay Area to Michigan and change train in Chicago, taking Wolferine. This will be my first cross country trip on Amtrak. I had rode on Coast Starlight several times and always have enjoyed the trip. I have reserved a roommete sleeper on the Zephyr, to make my trip more comfortable. Is there any suggestions I should know about the trip and also it will be my first visit to Chicago Union Station. Upon arriving Chicago, do I need to go to ticketing agent or just wait for the next train?

To make the trip more smooth, I'd like to hear your experiences and feedbacks on the Zephyr and any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, Welcome to the forum.

Since you are coming into CHI in a sleepeer you are entitled to access to the Metro Lounge in CHI. Its a more pleasant place to wait in CHI. It offers amenities such as soft chairs, free wifi, soft drinks, snacks and CLEAN restrooms.

Have a wonderful trip - I am looking forward to my first trip on the CZ Feb '11

I'm glad I found this topic, as I too am planning the same thing, CS-CZ(maybe the EB, not sure). Only the thing I'm wondering about is, how are the services onboard each train?

To the original poster, your name implies you are deaf - if so you might really enjoy and benefit from the book "Zephyr" - I don't remember the author's name but he is a deaf journalist and as such the book is filled with interesting insights into the trains operation form the point of view of someone who reads lips very well.

The book is several years in print, and some of the details are out-dated - but it is a very enjoyable read for anyone.

Enjoy your trip!

To the original poster, your name implies you are deaf - if so you might really enjoy and benefit from the book "Zephyr" - I don't remember the author's name but he is a deaf journalist and as such the book is filled with interesting insights into the trains operation form the point of view of someone who reads lips very well.
The book is several years in print, and some of the details are out-dated - but it is a very enjoyable read for anyone.

Enjoy your trip!
The author's name is Henry Kisor. He's the former book editor of the Chicago Sun-Times and writes an entertaining blog, which includes a lot of train riding stuff, at henrykisor.blogspot.com

The "Zephyr" book is very entertaining and worth the effort it would take to find it. Some of it is out of date, but it certainly tells everything abour the California Zephyr, and its operations.

This July, I am taking California Zephyr train from Bay Area to Michigan and change train in Chicago, taking Wolferine. This will be my first cross country trip on Amtrak. I had rode on Coast Starlight several times and always have enjoyed the trip. I have reserved a roommete sleeper on the Zephyr, to make my trip more comfortable. Is there any suggestions I should know about the trip and also it will be my first visit to Chicago Union Station. Upon arriving Chicago, do I need to go to ticketing agent or just wait for the next train?
You should have both the CZ and the Wolferine tickets on the same reservation, and thus you will be carrying your Wolferine ticket with you--there will be no need to go to the ticketing agent in CUS if the train is reasonably on time. Judging from my recent experience, having both tickets on the same reservation might be the key to having your connection guaranteed. Then if it happens, as it did in my case, that the CZ arrives very late (10:30 PM in my case), the Amtrak customer service representatives on the train will give you a hotel voucher and expediture slip for cab fare, so your overnight hotel and cab fare to it will be paid for. It probably won't happen, but my recent experience shows that it can happen.

I'm glad I found this topic, as I too am planning the same thing, CS-CZ(maybe the EB, not sure). Only the thing I'm wondering about is, how are the services onboard each train?

The services are the standard services you would normally receive on the California Zephyr~

if you have a sleeper, all your meals are included in the price of your sleeper, free coffee, juice, bottled water, ice, sometimes snacks or fresh fruit are included. There is a shower available for your use in each sleeper, too.

There is normally a full diner, plus a sightseer/lounge car, which has a snack bar downstairs. Items from the snack bar you must pay for.

The Coast Starlight has the same services except~

If you are in a sleeper, you may receive a split of Champagne or Sparkling Cider.

There is also the added Parlor Car for sleeper passengers only, with a slightly different menu.

There is free coffee & juice available there for you too.

It has a coffee bar/real bar.

There is a wine/cheese tasting every afternoon in the Parlor Car for $5 ea.

They were supposed to switch to real plates & glassware recently.

The Coast Starlight also has a full diner & sightseer lounge car too.

I bought all my Amtrak stuff on the Coast Starlight- a Coast Starlight hat, two Coast Starlight mugs, Coast Starlight lapel pins & Amtrak blanket. Should have gotten some playing cards too. Bought all but the blanket in the Parlor Car, which was bought in the sightseer car.

Have fun, both of you!

We're taking our first CZ trip this coming Oct from Galesburg to Emeryville and are very much looking forward to it. We'll have a bedroom.

Your connection in Chicago will be effortless since all your tickets should be together. You'll disembark and go directly to the lounge where you can, as someone mentioned, be able to access the Internet, grab soft drinks, coffee and snacks. You can deposit your luggage in a holding area if you wish, or just keep it right with you. They'll call out your connection when you can board. Enjoy your trip(s)!

Hi, Welcome to the forum.
Since you are coming into CHI in a sleepeer you are entitled to access to the Metro Lounge in CHI. Its a more pleasant place to wait in CHI. It offers amenities such as soft chairs, free wifi, soft drinks, snacks and CLEAN restrooms.

Have a wonderful trip - I am looking forward to my first trip on the CZ Feb '11
Thank you for welcoming me here. I didn't know about the part that I am entitled to the Metro Lounge. According to the Chicago Union Station website, upon checking the concourse map, I see the Metro Lounge by Chicago River. Also since I am deaf, is there a bulletin board to tell about the train status or when my next train arrives and if there is announcer to call to board my next train?

Enjoy your trip!
Thank you.

Enjoy your trip!
The author's name is Henry Kisor. He's the former book editor of the Chicago Sun-Times and writes an entertaining blog, which includes a lot of train riding stuff, at henrykisor.blogspot.com

The "Zephyr" book is very entertaining and worth the effort it would take to find it. Some of it is out of date, but it certainly tells everything abour the California Zephyr, and its operations.
In response to both quotes above, I have not heard of that author, but I will check it out for sure. Thank you the information and link, I'll have a look at it. :)

You should have both the CZ and the Wolferine tickets on the same reservation, and thus you will be carrying your Wolferine ticket with you--there will be no need to go to the ticketing agent in CUS if the train is reasonably on time. Judging from my recent experience, having both tickets on the same reservation might be the key to having your connection guaranteed. Then if it happens, as it did in my case, that the CZ arrives very late (10:30 PM in my case), the Amtrak customer service representatives on the train will give you a hotel voucher and expediture slip for cab fare, so your overnight hotel and cab fare to it will be paid for. It probably won't happen, but my recent experience shows that it can happen.
Ok great, then I would not have to worry about going to ticketing agent when I arrive in Chicago. Hopefully the train will be on time, if not I can ask the customer service for assistance for the hotel voucher and stuffs I need. How common for the CZ to be late or on time basis?

We're taking our first CZ trip this coming Oct from Galesburg to Emeryville and are very much looking forward to it. We'll have a bedroom.
Your connection in Chicago will be effortless since all your tickets should be together. You'll disembark and go directly to the lounge where you can, as someone mentioned, be able to access the Internet, grab soft drinks, coffee and snacks. You can deposit your luggage in a holding area if you wish, or just keep it right with you. They'll call out your connection when you can board. Enjoy your trip(s)!
Thank you, I had asked the question on the first quote above regarding the announcement and train bulletin..

Here are some pix from my CZ trip. Make damn sure you go to the Metropolitan Lounge in CUS!!!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/railfreak/set...57607397581294/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/railfreak/set...57607376305732/

You're gonna have such a great time!!! :)

RF
Awesome pictures!! thank you for sharing, I love how scenic the train ride is! I'll definitely be sure to be in Metropolitan Lounge when I get in Chicago.

My answers to each quotes are in bold.

Again, thank you everyone for the input. I've always like to go on Amtrak because not only the crews were very helpful and friendly but the scenic is awesome. Much less hassle than going on the airline and going through security checkpoints. ;)

The services are the standard services you would normally receive on the California Zephyr~

if you have a sleeper, all your meals are included in the price of your sleeper, free coffee, juice, bottled water, ice, sometimes snacks or fresh fruit are included. There is a shower available for your use in each sleeper, too.

There is normally a full diner, plus a sightseer/lounge car, which has a snack bar downstairs. Items from the snack bar you must pay for.

If you are in a sleeper, you may receive a split of Champagne or Sparkling Cider.

There is also the added Parlor Car for sleeper passengers only, with a slightly different menu.

I bought all my Amtrak stuff on the Coast Starlight- a Coast Starlight hat, two Coast Starlight mugs, Coast Starlight lapel pins & Amtrak blanket. Should have gotten some playing cards too. Bought all but the blanket in the Parlor Car, which was bought in the sightseer car.

Have fun, both of you!
Interesting comparison about those routes. I used to have sleeper on Coast Starlight last summer going to Seattle. The crew was very helpful and showed me all around the train when I went on board. I should get Amtrak souvenirs, are those items can be bought on the train or at the station? I must have missed that part when I was on Coast Starlight, does CZ sells soveniurs on the same car?

I have a few photo's from my Zephyr trip here: 9 Views from the Zephyr windows.
Eddie :cool:
Thank you for the awesome pictures, I love it! I plan to videotape some of the routes as well as take pictures. :)

The book by Henry Kisor was wonderful. I loaned it out to a college kid and never got it back. It seemed that he made such an effort to give you a visual feel for the train and then when I read that he was deaf, it all came together. Have fun on your trip. I love taking the CZ!

Thank you for welcoming me here. I didn't know about the part that I am entitled to the Metro Lounge. According to the Chicago Union Station website, upon checking the concourse map, I see the Metro Lounge by Chicago River. Also since I am deaf, is there a bulletin board to tell about the train status or when my next train arrives and if there is announcer to call to board my next train?
Yes, you can find it here.

I'm not sure about the Metro lounge & announcements, but if there isn't a board displaying arrival times, you may want to ask an employee to notify you.

Have fun, both of you!
Interesting comparison about those routes. I used to have sleeper on Coast Starlight last summer going to Seattle. The crew was very helpful and showed me all around the train when I went on board. I should get Amtrak souvenirs, are those items can be bought on the train or at the station? I must have missed that part when I was on Coast Starlight, does CZ sells souvenirs on the same car?
Sometimes you will see them in a station, but most trains will have souvenirs in the sightseer lounge. I would ask your Sleeping Car Attendant about them. If it was me, I would also let your Attendant know you are deaf, so that he/she can inform you personally about stops & overhead announcements.

When we go on the CZ again, I will make it a point to get some Zephyr stuff. I haven't done it yet!

Yes, you can find it here.

I'm not sure about the Metro lounge & announcements, but if there isn't a board displaying arrival times, you may want to ask an employee to notify you.
There are several TV screens within the lounge that display the current status of departing trains that you can view.

However I would also inform the attendants at the desk where you check into the lounge that you'll need for them to warn you personally when to go outside to board your train. I wouldn't rely totally on them either, keep checking the display if you can't find a seat in full view of one.

Here's the link to the Amazon page about that Henry Kisor book:

http://www.amazon.com/Zephyr-Tracking-Drea...9248&sr=1-1

Gee, it has a pretty cover. Nice looking book.

There are a bunch of used copies for sale on Amazon. Quick tips for those who don't know the book listing jargon:

Books are rated "poor" "fair" "good" "very good" "near fine" "fine" or "as new"

"Good" does not mean good. "Good" means bad. "But they said it was in "good" condition!" Nope, good isn't good. Good can have bent corners, underlining, wrinkled pages, soiling, shelfwear, etc.

Even "very good" could have a crease or tear, if that was the main only thing wrong. Either one can have previous owners names, gift inscriptions, all kinds of flaws.

When buying used books online from Amazon dealers or ABEbooks.com listings, I would look for a copy that was listed with a description of the actual copy of the book, not a generic "all books sold as used, acceptable condition" whatever that means, or any other general description. Look for a copy where someone took the trouble to tell you that it has a tear at the head of spine on the jacket, a crease on the back cover, an inscription, light underlining, etc.

More than you need to know! Just thought I'd offer that out there!

Yes, you can find it here.I'm not sure about the Metro lounge & announcements, but if there isn't a board displaying arrival times, you may want to ask an employee to notify you.
Many thanks for that link, that's perfect way to find out about the train status. I'll ask employee around and warn me personally if my train is here and to come on board. Thanks again.

Sometimes you will see them in a station, but most trains will have souvenirs in the sightseer lounge. I would ask your Sleeping Car Attendant about them. If it was me, I would also let your Attendant know you are deaf, so that he/she can inform you personally about stops & overhead announcements. When we go on the CZ again, I will make it a point to get some Zephyr stuff. I haven't done it yet!
I'll keep that in mind, to ask the attendant and have him/her inform the next attendant when the crew changes on the route. (Do any of you know which station stops for the crew change?) I will sure let the attendant onboard know I am deaf so they can be aware that there is deaf passenger onboard.

There are several TV screens within the lounge that display the current status of departing trains that you can view.
However I would also inform the attendants at the desk where you check into the lounge that you'll need for them to warn you personally when to go outside to board your train. I wouldn't rely totally on them either, keep checking the display if you can't find a seat in full view of one.
When I get to Chicago, I'll ask the employees and let them know I am deaf and if they have any news on my train they can come to me personally by giving a note or something.

Thanks.

There are a bunch of used copies for sale on Amazon. Quick tips for those who don't know the book listing jargon:

"Good" does not mean good. "Good" means bad. "But they said it was in "good" condition!" Nope, good isn't good. Good can have bent corners, underlining, wrinkled pages, soiling, shelfwear, etc.

Even "very good" could have a crease or tear, if that was the main only thing wrong. Either one can have previous owners names, gift inscriptions, all kinds of flaws.

When buying used books online from Amazon dealers or ABEbooks.com listings, I would look for a copy that was listed with a description of the actual copy of the book, not a generic "all books sold as used, acceptable condition" whatever that means, or any other general description. Look for a copy where someone took the trouble to tell you that it has a tear at the head of spine on the jacket, a crease on the back cover, an inscription, light underlining, etc.

Sounds like an interesting book, I know what you're saying about the condition of the book. Of course books have wear and tear as we use it. I'll try to find other book dealers that may sell new or very good condition book so I can read through the book on the trip. If no luck, I will use that Amazon link.

Thanks for the very informative post and link. Appreciate that.

Yes, you can find it here.I'm not sure about the Metro lounge & announcements, but if there isn't a board displaying arrival times, you may want to ask an employee to notify you.
Many thanks for that link, that's perfect way to find out about the train status. I'll ask employee around and warn me personally if my train is here and to come on board. Thanks again.

Sometimes you will see them in a station, but most trains will have souvenirs in the sightseer lounge. I would ask your Sleeping Car Attendant about them. If it was me, I would also let your Attendant know you are deaf, so that he/she can inform you personally about stops & overhead announcements. When we go on the CZ again, I will make it a point to get some Zephyr stuff. I haven't done it yet!
I'll keep that in mind, to ask the attendant and have him/her inform the next attendant when the crew changes on the route. (Do any of you know which station stops for the crew change?) I will sure let the attendant onboard know I am deaf so they can be aware that there is deaf passenger onboard.

When I get to Chicago, I'll ask the employees and let them know I am deaf and if they have any news on my train they can come to me personally by giving a note or something.

Thanks.

Sounds like an interesting book, I know what you're saying about the condition of the book. Of course books have wear and tear as we use it. I'll try to find other book dealers that may sell new or very good condition book so I can read through the book on the trip. If no luck, I will use that Amazon link.

Thanks for the very informative post and link. Appreciate that.
Recently, I have decided to add one more leg to my trip after the CS, catch the Empire Builder, from SEA-CHI, then the CZ, from CHI-EMY. Not like time is a big issue here, but how much longer should this make the trip?

Ok great, then I would not have to worry about going to ticketing agent when I arrive in Chicago. Hopefully the train will be on time, if not I can ask the customer service for assistance for the hotel voucher and stuffs I need. How common for the CZ to be late or on time basis?

To see train delays for up to the previous four weeks, go to: http://www.amtrakdelays.com/index.php

Crew changes happen about every 12 hours-this should not affect you, however. You will usually have the same Sleeping Car Attendant from start to finish. It's the Conductor & train crews that change out. On the California Zephyr, there are crew changes in Reno, Salt Lake City, & I think Grand Junction & Denver. I'm sure there are more further east-if you go on amtrak.com & look at the schedule, look for longer stops.

Have a great trip!

Recently, I have decided to add one more leg to my trip after the CS, catch the Empire Builder, from SEA-CHI, then the CZ, from CHI-EMY. Not like time is a big issue here, but how much longer should this make the trip?
If you are talking about adding just the CZ, you would have to overnight in CHI, & then it would be another 52 hours-about 2 1/2 days more.

To see train delays for up to the previous four weeks, go to: http://www.amtrakdelays.com/index.php
Thanks for another helpful link, seem like some days the CZ be on time, and some days late as long as 2 hours. Hopefully it will not affect my connection train to Michigan.

Crew changes happen about every 12 hours-this should not affect you, however. You will usually have the same Sleeping Car Attendant from start to finish. It's the Conductor & train crews that change out. On the California Zephyr, there are crew changes in Reno, Salt Lake City, & I think Grand Junction & Denver. I'm sure there are more further east-if you go on amtrak.com & look at the schedule, look for longer stops.Have a great trip!
Ah, makes sense and one less thing to worry about on the trip. :)

I looked it over on my reservation, and since i am going on Wolferine after CZ.. I have a reserved coach seat, I looked up on the Amtrak site, and they do have a business class seat for $7.50 more.

It seem not much of a difference, only comfortable seat and complimentary beverages and newspaper. Since it is only 2.5 hours ride, my question is will it be worth it?... and will I be able upgrade it? Or should I leave it alone and use coach since it is only 2.5 hours ride.

Thanks.

I looked it over on my reservation, and since i am going on Wolferine after CZ.. I have a reserved coach seat, I looked up on the Amtrak site, and they do have a business class seat for $7.50 more.
It seem not much of a difference, only comfortable seat and complimentary beverages and newspaper. Since it is only 2.5 hours ride, my question is will it be worth it?... and will I be able upgrade it? Or should I leave it alone and use coach since it is only 2.5 hours ride.

Thanks.
Definitely worth it! More room, comfortable seats, in the cafe car, less crowding, one non-alcoholic drink, 100 AGR RAIL POINTS ;) plus any bonus points

you have coming= Priceless! ;) Ive ridden this train many times and there is no comparison between BC and Coach! :) Go ahead and upgrade, this train sometimes is full dpending on the day of the week and which one you take!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back