Going railroading Again

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depart Chicago on Thursday, January 27 on 30, car 3001 room 5. I return on Janurary 28 on 29, car 2900 room 10. I know, only 5 hours or so in the Capitol. But I'm playing hookie from work, and need to be in Chicago on Sunday.

So. . . when those suckers are clocking in . . . I will be having breakfast in the diner on 30.

Question: does anybody know where the sleepers are on the Capitol these days, and if the freight is still back there? Thanks

I think the Express Cars are gone for the most part, but there is still the ocassional move. Ryan could probably answer this best since he holds a regular job on the Capitol.

Steve4031 said:
What does Ryan do?  Maybe he will be on the day that I ride.   :D
He's an Amtrak conductor who often works 29/30. So if anybody knows, he would. He posts under the handle of amtrakconductor2731.

AlanB said:
Steve4031 said:
What does Ryan do?  Maybe he will be on the day that I ride.   :D
He's an Amtrak conductor who often works 29/30. So if anybody knows, he would. He posts under the handle of amtrakconductor2731.
Thanks for the info. I emailed him with my room and car numbers. Maybe he will stop, maybe he won't Anyway, I am looking forward to the trip, and will provide a trip report when I return. Hopefully faster than the one for New Orleans.

steve, sorry i didnt get a chance to catch up with you, its been real busy here in was the past few weeks and i just got your message tonight(1/27). as far as the express cars, well, they went the way of the roadrailers, off into the sunset(hopefully never to return). now, on occasion we will get 1 or 2 of the expresstrak reefers coming up from florida going out to washington state, but even those are on borrowed time, as that contract will not be renewed. unless something really odd happens with what little of the mail & express contract is left, your days of seeing a 15-16+ car capitol limited are pretty mutch over. norm consist is as follows:

p42

p42

baggage

transition sleeper

sleeper

sleeper

diner

lounge

coach

coach

p42

p42