Going to Durham, NC from Norman, OK

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

buck1108

Train Attendant
Good Morning,

I'm thinking of going to Durham, NC from Norman, OK in a few weeks, and I was wondering about the trains/layovers, etc.

Having traveled to Atlanta from Norman before, via Heartland Flyer, Texas Eagle, Sunset Ltd, and the Crescent, I'm familiar with that leg of the trip; however, beyond that, what are the options?

Thanks for any suggestions. :)

One option is Heartland Flyer to Ft Worth, then Texas Eagle to Chicago. Capitol Ltd to Washington DC and then Silver Star to Raleigh. Rent a car to Durham. or.. Could also layover a night in WAS and then take Carolinian the next day directly to Durham.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Crescent will take you beyond Atlanta to either Charlotte or Greensboro, NC, arriving in the wee hours of the morning. Then you'll have a several hour layover waiting for the Carolinian (80) to come along and take you to Durham.

Going the other way is about the same. You can take the Carolinian (79) to either Greensboro or Charlotte in the mid-evening time frame. Then you've got a several hour layover until the Crescent (19) comes by.

jb

Would both the Silver Star (to Raleigh) and the Crescent (to Greensboro) have after dark arrivals?

Are there recommended hotels and/or car rental agencies close by to those stations (via taxi)?

Silver Star (91) arrives Raleigh at 8.48 p.m. (dark).

Crescent (19) arrives Greensboro at 12.15 a.m. (dark).

Crescent (20) arrives Greensboro at 3.37 a.m. (dark).

I'll let someone else answer about the rental cars and hotels.

jb

Norman-Durham Layovers

821 Heartland flyer Norman,OK-fort worth,tx 1hr 30m

22 Texas eagle Fort Worth,tx-Chicago,IL 5hrs

30 Capital limited Chicago-Washington 5hrs 30m

19 Crescent Washington-Greensboro 8hrs overnight but station is open 24/7

80 Carolinian Greensboro-Durham

Durham-Norman

79 Carolinian Durham-Greensboro 9hrs overnight but open 24/7

20 Crescent Greensboro-Charlotteville,VA 6hrs

51 Cardinal Charlotteville,VA-Chicago,IL 3hrs 45m

21 Texas Eagles Chicago,IL-fort worth,TX 3hrs

822 heartland flyer Fort Worth,TX-Norman,OK

Since it looks like you're going to need a layover somewhere, might as well pick somewhere you'd like to be, and/or somewhere convenient to hotels. Alexandria, VA (just south of DC) might be a good choice--hotels w/in walking distance and/or with shuttles that'll pick you up at the station, easy access to all of DC on the Metro.

Norman-Durham Layovers

821 Heartland Flyer / Norman-Fort Worth / 1hr 30m

22 Texas Eagle / Fort Worth-Chicago / 5hrs

30 Capital Limited / Chicago-Washington / 5hrs 30m

19 Crescent / Washington-Greensboro / 8hrs overnight but station is open 24/7

80 Carolinian / Greensboro-Durham

Durham-Norman

79 Carolinian / Durham-Greensboro / 9hrs overnight but open 24/7

20 Crescent / Greensboro-Charlottesville,VA / 6hrs

51 Cardinal / Charlottesville-Chicago / 3hrs 45m

21 Texas Eagle / Chicago-Fort Worth / 3hrs

822 Heartland Flyer / Fort Worth-Norman
Good info. But remember that a Cardinal itinerary is only available 3 days a week.

++++++++++++++++++++

How about driving a car? Excuse my language.

If you can get to Greensboro, either arrange for someone to come pick you up, or rent a car. Arranging that is the hard part. From Greensboro to Durham is only about an hour's drive. So especially if you'll be renting a car in Durham . . .

Five daylight hours in CHI and in D.C. are nice features, not bugs. Tourist buses or regular buses will take you around. If you have mobility issues, pick one destination (Art Institute in CHI, the Smithsonian in D.C., or the Lincoln Memorial/Vietnam Memorial nearby) then splurge on a taxi or two.

But c'mon. Those 8- or 9-hour layovers in Greensboro, where you're only an hour from you destination, myself, I just couldn't hack it.

Norman-Durham Layovers

821 Heartland Flyer / Norman-Fort Worth / 1hr 30m

22 Texas Eagle / Fort Worth-Chicago / 5hrs

30 Capital Limited / Chicago-Washington / 5hrs 30m

19 Crescent / Washington-Greensboro / 8hrs overnight but station is open 24/7

80 Carolinian / Greensboro-Durham

Durham-Norman

79 Carolinian / Durham-Greensboro / 9hrs overnight but open 24/7

20 Crescent / Greensboro-Charlottesville,VA / 6hrs

51 Cardinal / Charlottesville-Chicago / 3hrs 45m

21 Texas Eagle / Chicago-Fort Worth / 3hrs

822 Heartland Flyer / Fort Worth-Norman
Good info. But remember that a Cardinal itinerary is only available 3 days a week.

++++++++++++++++++++

How about driving a car? Excuse my language.

If you can get to Greensboro, either arrange for someone to come pick you up, or rent a car. Arranging that is the hard part. From Greensboro to Durham is only about an hour's drive. So especially if you'll be renting a car in Durham . . .

Five daylight hours in CHI and in D.C. are nice features, not bugs. Tourist buses or regular buses will take you around. If you have mobility issues, pick one destination (Art Institute in CHI, the Smithsonian in D.C., or the Lincoln Memorial/Vietnam Memorial nearby) then splurge on a taxi or two.

But c'mon. Those 8- or 9-hour layovers in Greensboro, where you're only an hour from you destination, myself, I just couldn't hack it.
Many thanks!

Yes, those long layovers seem kind of ridiculous, when I'm that close... unless I'm in a trainwatching mood that evening. ;)

Since it looks like you're going to need a layover somewhere, might as well pick somewhere you'd like to be, and/or somewhere convenient to hotels. Alexandria, VA (just south of DC) might be a good choice--hotels w/in walking distance and/or with shuttles that'll pick you up at the station, easy access to all of DC on the Metro.
Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back