Going to New York

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Going to New York. What are some good hotels near Pen Station.

I-----personally------like the Hotel Pennsylvania, right across the street but many people disagree.

One spelling note, it is Penn Station, "Penn", Short for Pennsylvania. And that refers to the old Pennsylvania Railroad, at one time one of the biggest railroads in the nation. That name is long since gone, merged into others, all this before Amtrak (1971).

Last edited by a moderator:
The Hotel Pennsylvania is very close to Penn Station and reasonably priced, If you don't like the reviews on tripadvisor for this hotel, try priceline or hotwire they have good maps of the city and different areas so you can pick your hotel near Penn Station. Hotel prices in NY City are kind of like bedrooms on Amtrak, meaning prices fluctuate due to demand. I wouldn't reserve a room now unless it is fully refundable as prices are in the high range at this time. I have been pricing rooms for a stay at the end of Sept.

We stayed at Radio City apartments. Right around the corner from Times Square and not far (taxi ride) from train staton.

Eventi Hotel - a kimpton property - is beautiful and just one block east of Penn station on 31st st.

One spelling note, it is Penn Station, "Penn", Short for Pennsylvania. And that refers to the old Pennsylvania Railroad, at one time on of the biggest railroads in the nation. That name is long since gone, merged into others, all this before Amtrak (1971).
Speaking of which, I was on a northbound NER last month and, as we pulled into Newark's Penn Station, some tourists from Europe almost got off the train thinking that they were at New York's Penn Station. Someone behind me straightened them out, but then proceeded to complain about there being two Penn Stations. :rolleyes: I could not help myself, turned around and explained to them why there were so many Penn Stations, but they remained unimpressed with what I was saying. :eek:hboy:

One spelling note, it is Penn Station, "Penn", Short for Pennsylvania. And that refers to the old Pennsylvania Railroad, at one time on of the biggest railroads in the nation. That name is long since gone, merged into others, all this before Amtrak (1971).
Speaking of which, I was on a northbound NER last month and, as we pulled into Newark's Penn Station, some tourists from Europe almost got off the train thinking that they were at New York's Penn Station. Someone behind me straightened them out, but then proceeded to complain about there being two Penn Stations. :rolleyes: I could not help myself, turned around and explained to them why there were so many Penn Stations, but they remained unimpressed with what I was saying. :eek:hboy:
Yep,The Davy, we railfans have to get used to people being umimpressed by what we are saying.

Yep,The Davy, we railfans have to get used to people being umimpressed by what we are saying.
Specially considering the astounding level of lack of curiosity about why things are the way they are and how things work, among most people, even including some truly foaming railfans. Fortunately there are not too many of those that participate here since that kind would probably be bored out of their skin with some of the fare discussed here. :)

I once tried to help a woman on an NER train - she wanted to go to New York Penn Station and kept asking me when it was. But she had a really thick accent and I couldn't tell if she wanted to go to New York or Newark Penn Station. I finally had to write it down and ask her to point to which one she wanted to go to. I can see how it can be confusing if you don't speak the language as New York and Newark sound so similar, especially when announced over the loudspeaker by conductors. We can hear the difference because we are native speakers but it is hard for someone who is not.

I once tried to help a woman on an NER train - she wanted to go to New York Penn Station and kept asking me when it was. But she had a really thick accent and I couldn't tell if she wanted to go to New York or Newark Penn Station. I finally had to write it down and ask her to point to which one she wanted to go to. I can see how it can be confusing if you don't speak the language as New York and Newark sound so similar, especially when announced over the loudspeaker by conductors. We can hear the difference because we are native speakers but it is hard for someone who is not.
. As long as they don't get off at Newark (New Ark) DE. Especially if the conductor pronounces it like Newark NJ.

My apologies if this has been discussed earlier, but I have always wondered, why do those stations need the "Penn" name even now? Agreed they were all a part of the Pennsy Railroad many moons back but for quite some time its all Amtrak now, so why can't the names be changed to just New York Station and Newark Station removing the Penn from it? Is there some legal issue that the Penn reference should always remain in the names of those stations?

My apologies if this has been discussed earlier, but I have always wondered, why do those stations need the "Penn" name even now? Agreed they were all a part of the Pennsy Railroad many moons back but for quite some time its all Amtrak now, so why can't the names be changed to just New York Station and Newark Station removing the Penn from it? Is there some legal issue that the Penn reference should always remain in the names of those stations?
Well,I do not know, but it is not "all" Amtrak, it also has Long Island Railroad and New Jersey Transit.

Well,I do not know, but it is not "all" Amtrak, it also has Long Island Railroad and New Jersey Transit.
Well that was not the point I was making. I know NYP has LIRR and NJT, but still its not Pennsy anymore, right? So is what is it that keeps the "Penn" in the name even now except historic significance? Is there any agreement signed or law made when Pennsy handed over these lines and stations to Amtrak etc that requires them to carry the name?

While we're at at it,lets just jerk the stars off the flag! no one counts them anyway.

Yeah, I can't think of a good reason why the names can't change to reflect changing times. We railfans enjoy seeing railway history maintained, but I would imagine the bulk of riders couldn't care less where Penn comes from or why. Oddly enough, even though I've visited New York several times I've never once seen Newark's Penn Station or their airport for that matter. Hopefully it's a lot better looking and a lot better laid out than the dismal underground dungeon they call Penn Station in New York.

Well that was not the point I was making. I know NYP has LIRR and NJT, but still its not Pennsy anymore, right? So is what is it that keeps the "Penn" in the name even now except historic significance? Is there any agreement signed or law made when Pennsy handed over these lines and stations to Amtrak etc that requires them to carry the name?
No way. The next thing you know, they'll rename Idlewild Airport.

OMG!!! Defection even in the ranks of railfans! :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:

I'm not sure if there is a legal issue or not, but it reminds me of a sign my Dad, who had his own small business, had in his office: "There is no reason for it, it is just our policy!"

As amamba pointed out, it is confusing to a lot of people. Maybe, in the name of clarity, :help: things will evolve in the future. :help:

The most basic question is probably:

Why is Penn Station not in Pennsylvania?
mosking.gif
huh.gif

mosking.gif
huh.gif
They have already mentioned others not in Pennsylvania, such as Newark.

It is named after the railroad and the railroad was named for a state.

Being named after the Pennsylvania Railroad. The Pennsylvania RR was a huge railroad as I pointed out earlier. It covered many states. I think stations in Philadelphia, Baltimore,Newark and Pittsburg were named Penn Station also.

Today we only have a few railroads, huge freight railroads.plus Amtrak.

There used to be over 100 railroads in the country. The story of how they each got their names would be huge. Go back to 1860 or so when there was no infrastructure like there is now. Somebody would start some little railroad, give it a name based on where it went or intended to go mostly. But then as it would expand they would not keep adding to the name.

So I suppose the Penn RR began somewhere in the state of Penn. As it would expand it would be too long to keep adding to the name. Say the Penn went to 15 states for example....nobody would want a name that was 15 words long.

The chief rival to the Penn RR was the New York Central, and it covered many states besides New York. They were competitors on many lines.

I suppose the Penn RR owned the Hotel Penn. I am sure there was some relationship, it is no coincidence that they are across the street from each other.

I am going to list a bunch of RR names just to give you an idea. In very few cases were they identified exclusively with the states in their name, thus no real problem in what they named stations.

Baltimore and Ohio

Missouri Pacific

Atlantic Coast Line (came as far inland as Atlanta)

Atchison Topeka and Santa Fe (did not serve two those towns)

Chicago Burlington and Quincy

Southern Pacific

Western Pacific

Great Northern

Illinois Central (went as far south as New Orleans)

Louisville and Nashville (went to many cities besides those two)

Florida East Coast (this one is literally true)

Chesapeake and Ohio

St Louis San Francisco (never made it to San Francisco, probably intended to)

Seaboard (came inland as far ss Birmingham)

This is just a sampling. You can see there would be no problem with a station in Jackson, Miss, being called Illinois Central. There would be no problem with a station in Birmingham being called Louisville and Nashville.

Hope this helps.

mosking.gif
huh.gif
Actually, IIRC, there was a move afoot a year or two ago to rename Philadelphia's 30th Street Station to Penn Station. It didn't succeed, but they were looking to change the name.

Shouldn't Philly have Penn Station (since it's in Pennsylvania) and NY have 30 Street Station (After all, NY Penn is almost on 30 St)?
mosking.gif

PS I know why it is the way it is with NY. Why isn't Philly's station called Penn? Wasn't it also owned by the Penn RR?

Because everything in Philly is called Penn something? Maybe they wanted make it easier for people to find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back