good price

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

northnorthwest

Service Attendant
Contemplating getting a roomette from GNS to PHL for tomorrow night. Is 161 a good price (I already have a coach ticket, which I paid 110 for)? How many meals would I get in that time? I know I should be saving money, but…ugh…I just want to have the room! I'm hoping I could have some good concentration and get some work done in the morning, too...

Opinions?

Getting to sleep in a bed instead of a chair would be worth $161 to me. But you know your budget better than any poster here. You would get breakfast, but I am not sure about lunch.

I wonder if that $110 would be reduced when you buy the roomette. When you purchase a roomette, you get the lowest bucket coach fare. So, instead of $110 + $161, it might be more like $90 + $161.

Either way, I'd say it's worth it to have a bed, privacy, meals, etc. It sounds like you're leaning that way already, and if you're planning to concentrate and get work done, then I'd definitely recommend it. I love being able to shut my door and work on stuff without listening to other people talking, eating, snoring, breathing, existing... :ph34r:

As roomettes on this train can run $284 for this routing I'd say $161 for 15 hours overnight isn't a bad price. You'd get breakfast and probably an early lunch. Consider ordering your lunch 'to-go' and take it back to your room if you're worried about being stuck in the diner as they pull into WAS, if they're running late I wouldn't worry. First orders out of the diner usually come out quickly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Contemplating getting a roomette from GNS to PHL for tomorrow night. Is 161 a good price (I already have a coach ticket, which I paid 110 for)? How many meals would I get in that time? I know I should be saving money, but…ugh…I just want to have the room! I'm hoping I could have some good concentration and get some work done in the morning, too...

Opinions?
It's it $161 more or $51 more? If it's only $51 more, I'd snap it up! If it was $161 more, I'd just grab it, with a bit less enthusiasm.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using the Android Amtrak Forums mobile app

SarahZ echos much of my sentiment. , A sleeper gives you a different dimension on traveling.. Outside of driving its the only form of transportation where you can travel in relative comfort, peace and tranquility. While I like to mix it up with some of the occasional weird chatty passengers in the dining car; after dinner we look forward to quiet privacy, where we can read, go online or rest undisturbed. While we still travel by coach on day trips; on longer trips the sleeper is the way to go.

Thanks for the feedback encouraging me to do what I had essentially already decided to do!

And it was the right choice. I was surprised to board and be offered dinner at 9pm at GNS. I'd already stuffed myself, but I went ahead and had a delicious cheesecake with strawberries and blueberries. Room was warm and cozy, slept like a LOG…Woke up without alarm clock at 8am in Virginia, enjoyed a great breakfast (very good bacon, too!), and also had lunch to go. I also got in 3 solid hours of work that would have been difficult outside of the confines (comfortable, but confines, nonetheless) of a tiny room without internet access or any other distractions.

All in all it was a wonderful trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back