Goodbye Federal Subsidy For Amtrak?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cut funding to highways and airports. Let the trucking compaines and airlines pay thier own way.
Thats not a good analogy. At least the road one.

Airports can and should be privatized.
How many privately owned commercial airports are there in US? I expect there would be a few privately owned small more remote commercial airports, but the larger commercial airports? I would consider an airport authority chartered by the local or state government which was granted the land for the airport to be a publicly owned and operated facility.

Cut funding to highways and airports. Let the trucking compaines and airlines pay thier own way.

How many privately owned commercial airports are there in US? I expect there would be a few privately owned small more remote commercial airports, but the larger commercial airports? I would consider an airport authority chartered by the local or state government which was granted the land for the airport to be a publicly owned and operated facility.
Branson, MO

I mean surely Amtrak can find a way to cook a hamburger for less than $16. And we all know that the Amtrak subsidy is pigeon food compared to what the trucking (highway) and airlines receive. If everyone let their congressman know (writing, emails, phone) the importance of Amtrak, then we will accomplish more than "wringing our hands" on these forums.
I agree with Rusty Spike. Just because Amtrak should stay here dosen't mean they have to lose as money as they are losing. I think they should take a look at how money is being wasted during operations. Then we'll see how much Amtrak really "has" to lose. Guess those subsides are why Greyhound does far better than Amtrak despite very low fares.
You need to understand however that the best estimates are that Amtrak's operating subsidies are only in the range of $300 Million to $500 Million, or at most about 1/3 of last year's annual appropriation. Probably another third goes to debt service from the years where Amtrak was forced to borrow heavily. The remainder goes to capital costs, which predominately means the NEC.

Amtrak's actual operating subsidies aren't really all that high. It's the debt and the NEC that really hurt Amtrak. And frankly the NEC really should be separated, at least on a funding level from the rest of Amtrak, as that was never really supposed to be Amtrak's responsibility. Congress dumped the corridor on Amtrak, the very neglected and nearly 70 year old corridor at that time, yet never really provided the proper funding to bring it back into a state of good repair.

Branson, MO
Ocala, Florida. The one in the very private/exclusive community (featured on some 60 minutes like show) where John Travolta & family lives. One of the requirements of living there being to build some kind of airport hangar or similar facility, even though you may not actually use it for an aircraft...

Ocala, Florida. The one in the very private/exclusive community (featured on some 60 minutes like show) where John Travolta & family lives. One of the requirements of living there being to build some kind of airport hangar or similar facility, even though you may not actually use it for an aircraft...
Not a commercial airport. There are a number of privately owned general aviation airports and air strips in the US. You can fly your own jet or chartered biz jet to Greystone Airport, but not Southwest or Delta.

According to the Wikipedia entry on Branson Airport, it is the only privately owned and operated commercial service airport in the US. But the wiki entry also says: “As part of the negotiations to create the airport, obtain financing and reduce liability, Branson Airport, LLC had to "gift" the land they owned to Taney County, Missouri in order to lease and operate the airport privately.”

Later in the same article:

The $155 million cost of the building the terminal included $38 million in private equity and $117 million in tax free bonds underwritten by Citigroup. The high-risk, high-yield bonds (top rate of 6.5%) were issued by the Branson Regional Airport Transportation Development District. The City of Branson will pay a subsidy of $8.24 to Branson Airport LLC for each arriving visitor with an annual cap of $2 Million
Sounds like a standard crony-capitalism case of privatizing the gain, but socializing the risk.

This discussion prompted me to look at the financial reports for the Metropolitan Airports Commission where I live. (MSP) MAC Financials .

It seems from this that the state and local government subsidy for this airport (not mentioned in the financial reports) is the tax and rent free ownership of a few square miles of prime land, plus the ability to issue tax-exempt debt. The airport commission also has taxing power but haven't used it since 1969 according to their report. They report that their cost to airlines per enplanement is consistently below national averages - $6.04 vs $7.34 in 2009 - total enplaned passengers in 2011 was about 12 million.

If this Airport Commission had to pay real estate taxes they would be seriously broke in a month or so.

Thus, privatizing - without the tax-free land rights attached -- would be politically impossible

In Minnesota, freight railroads have to pay real estate taxes (since the late 50's early 60's)

The login to the site for the MAC financials forbids to quote any of their reports in part, only in full - so I won't

But in summary the major sources of revenue for this particular airports commission are Parking, Landing Fees, Terminal Rent, other Rent, Car Rental fees and Food and Beverage, in that order. Enough to let them maintain and improve the property.

Owning more than a thousand acres tax-free is off-the-books. (as it was for all railroads here in Minnesota up until late 50's early 60's - if I remember my 6th grade Civics class correctly - no real estate tax for railroads back then) Never mind the huge land grants 150 years ago that enabled the western US railroads to be built.

Just wondering - does the Airports Commission also own the mineral rights? The western US railroads did - witness the spinoffs back in the early days of deregulation. Burlington Northern spun off its timber interests (Plum Creek) and oil and gas interests (forget the name).

Southern Pacific famously spun off SPRINT - .

Any how when - if - air travel becomes too expensive to support - as it already is at so many small-town federally subsidized airports - will we see land sales? Mineral rights sales?

Trying to envision the evolution of various transport modes based on the history - a hundred years ago if a small town had no rail - it turned into a ghost town. Now, if a small city loses its airport subsidy, no big problem - there's still the (subsidized) roads.

Sorry if this is too rambling - trying to figure what might happen with various fuel-price and local government budget constraints.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back