GPS and Viewliner Sleepers

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amfleet

Engineer
I'm just curious for those of you who are GPS users and have used them in a Viewliner. How do they perform? Are you able to get a strong signal? Last summer I was only able to get a strong signal in an Amfleet, but not in a Superliner? I'm currently using a Delorme Earthmate, which I hook up to my laptop. Thanks for any advice.

I used my Garmin Streetpilot III in one of the viewliner sleepers. It would only work if I rested it against the window. I think it needed some sort of line of sight to the sky.

I had dinner with two ladies who were traveling in a Viewliner sleeper, who had their GPS set up and it worked fine. I have no idea what make or model, but it was on the route of the Crescent between Atlanta and DC.

Amfleet, what I would do is prop your unit up against the window, using the metal lip from the table stand to keep it from falling over. Usually when I'm up in a sleeper I'll put my radio in that spot, it works pretty well.

battalion51 said:
Amfleet, what I would do is prop your unit up against the window, using the metal lip from the table stand to keep it from falling over. Usually when I'm up in a sleeper I'll put my radio in that spot, it works pretty well.
Unlike some of the more expensive GPS units, mine is small and can only be used with my laptop. It came with a suction cup to attach the unit to a window and thats what indeed I've been doing. However, I was told by Delmore, the manufacturer, that when placed next to a window with UV protection the signal is weakened quite a bit. So I guess what I'm asking is do the Viewliner's windows contain any form of UV protection?

If anyone is interested, the unit I'm talking about can be found here.

My GPS is a Garmin E-Trex, and it works quite well in Superliner and California cars as long as it is reasonably close to a window. I have no experience with Viewliners, so I can't help you there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back