GPS Device for use on Long Distance Trains

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the last version of Delorme Street Atlas that was made before they were sucked up by Garmin and closed.
Wow I didn't realize DeLorme was no more. They made some great state atlases with all the railroads marked. When I was first considering moving to Maine I interviewed for a job at their Yarmouth headquarters. My interviewer was Mr. DeLorme himself. They were still pretty small back then.

Wow I didn't realize DeLorme was no more. They made some great state atlases with all the railroads marked. When I was first considering moving to Maine I interviewed for a job at their Yarmouth headquarters. My interviewer was Mr. DeLorme himself. They were still pretty small back then.

Thank heavens Eartha is still open to the public!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eartha

Somewhat related. If memory serves, I think that was a small monitor within Amtrak Cascade cars. It would give you a display screen showing your exact position on your route, as well as distance from nearby towns/cities and Cascade train stops. I wonder if the Cascades still have the monitor and if other Amtrak trains have, as well.

Somewhat related. If memory serves, I think that was a small monitor within Amtrak Cascade cars. It would give you a display screen showing your exact position on your route, as well as distance from nearby towns/cities and Cascade train stops. I wonder if the Cascades still have the monitor and if other Amtrak trains have, as well.
They were a feature of the WSDOT owned Talgo Series VI trainsets, which were sold for scrap.

They aren't on the ODOT Talgo Series VIII trainsets still in service, nor on the replacement Horizon equipment Amtrak provided for Cascades service.

I have an old TomTom which had the best features and was so entertaining. ( 15 or so years old). Powering it up can be a challenge you have to bypass a car nav system but I'm going to take it on a test run sometime to see if it can still be used on the rails.

Back