GPS on the train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RRrich

Conductor
I used to take my netbook with me on Amtrak on the netbook I had Delorme software - I enjoyed following my trip on the 'puter. Since then I bought an Android tablet - a Motorola Xoom. It has Google maps/navigation but when I took it on a little trip STL -GRA, I couldn't find settings that compared to the Delorme stuff. Anyone have any advice/suggestions.

I do reccomnd "GPS Speedometer" free at the Play Store - gives speed, heading and elevation. I think I'll be running that on my tablet and a Garmen GPS out of my car

I used the GasBuddy app on my last train trip. For those not familiar with GasBuddy, volunteer members enter gas prices for gas stations and anyone can use the site to find the cheapest gas prices. The app has a list and map views. With the map view, I could track my train trip with the additional advantage of being able to report gas prices for stations we passed where I could read the prices on the sign. This way I could watch where I was going and at the same time help those too "bourgeois" to take the train.I could enhance my feeling of superiority by not only having fun by being on the train but by being able to look down on the poor saps that had to pay those gas prices. :giggle:

Thanks guys, unfortunately Motion-X seems to be Apple only. I have Gas Buddy but didn't think to try it for tracking. I'll keep it in mind

As a related question:

I just got an IPAD....what software can I use on it to "amp" my trips, and check speed and such stuff?

Also, what would work on a 3g cell phone? (I believe it is android??) it is just a cheap Nokia resonably intelligent (not smart) phone...Nokia Nuron, I believe.

Thanks!

Re: 3G Cellphones....

On my trip on the Eagle detour from Chicago to St. Louis via the old C&EI a couple of years ago, I used my plain old LG flip-phone and Verizon Navigator to track the trip. It worked very nicely, showing at a certain zoom level both the adjacent highway numbers, as well as the name of the railroad tracks we were on and others nearby...

What 'features' are you looking for in a Android Map?

I've used Google Maps on my last few trips with very few problems. Actually the only problem I encountered was the lack of mobile service in areas; however you will have that same problem regardless of the Map App. I have a Car Dashboard App (there are few different ones out there) which displays some interesting information, such as: Speed, Acceleration, Elevation, Direction (compass), some even have their own mapping service. Most have the added advantage of having a "heads up" mode where you can place your phone near the window (facing out) and see the data in the reflection on the window so you can keep your eyes on the scenery passing by.

peter

I've used Google Maps on my last few trips with very few problems. Actually the only problem I encountered was the lack of mobile service in areas; however you will have that same problem regardless of the Map App.
Actually that's one of the neat things about the paid version of Motion-X App for the iPhone/iPad, sadly not available for the Droid, you can download the maps for your area of travel in advance to the device. That way, it doesn't matter if you have a data signal or not, you'll still have a map to look at.

Google Maps on the android offers a pre-load of maps for going out of service. However I've never used & usually forget that it's there (tis a 'lab' option)

peter

My Tracks and GPS Essentials are two good apps for android. My phone GPS doesn't go through windows on the train well, but tablets may be stronger.

Just loaded motion x hd and will try it on Thanksgiving. Anyone who uses it please give me pointers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back