Grand Canyon Railway

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The problem with the GCR is the midday schedule, at least the one they followed when I rode about 15 years ago. It drops you at the South Rim at high noon, when the Canyon is least magnificent. The sun is beating over your shoulder as you look north. The harsh midday light bleaches the color from the rocks. It's really an underwhelming time to see this natural wonder, and I could witness tourists walking away, disappointed. The train whistles for return around 3 pm, when the shadows are just beginning to lengthen, painting the depths with mystery. Later, nearing sunset or after sunrise, the Grand Canyon really resembles the vivid paintings sold at local galleries.
I'd only recommend the GCR if you've booked a night at one of the hotels at the Rim. But I'd recommend that highly.
Still arrives at 11:45, return leaves at 3:30. You made up my mind for me, we'll stay in Williams, either get up early and beat it on up to the rim in the car in the a.m., or go for a late afternoon visit.

Thanks!
IMO, you should take at least two nights in the Canyon, whether by car or train. I went by car my only time there, so the next time I'll do the train ( Parlor Car! )

RF

The problem with the GCR is the midday schedule, at least the one they followed when I rode about 15 years ago. It drops you at the South Rim at high noon, when the Canyon is least magnificent. The sun is beating over your shoulder as you look north. The harsh midday light bleaches the color from the rocks. It's really an underwhelming time to see this natural wonder, and I could witness tourists walking away, disappointed. The train whistles for return around 3 pm, when the shadows are just beginning to lengthen, painting the depths with mystery. Later, nearing sunset or after sunrise, the Grand Canyon really resembles the vivid paintings sold at local galleries.
I'd only recommend the GCR if you've booked a night at one of the hotels at the Rim. But I'd recommend that highly.
Still arrives at 11:45, return leaves at 3:30. You made up my mind for me, we'll stay in Williams, either get up early and beat it on up to the rim in the car in the a.m., or go for a late afternoon visit.

Thanks!
IMO, you should take at least two nights in the Canyon, whether by car or train. I went by car my only time there, so the next time I'll do the train ( Parlor Car! )

RF
We'll not do any hiking around, the missus has a bad hip. 1 full day there will be plenty. If it works out we stay 2 nites to make that happen, so be it.

We're thinking about a automobile tour of the southwest this Spring, with a stop at Grand Canyon South Rim. I've been eyeballing the Grand Canyon Railway and wondering if it's worth the price. The coach fare is doable at $140/pr but 1st class is double that, and the dome is crazy priced at $340 - the lounge car is even more expensive. Kinda steep for a 4 1/2 hr round trip!
Anyone made this run? What did you think?
where did you find these rates?? On the GCR website, coach class is 70$/person rt and 1st class is 140$/person rt. These are much cheaper fares than whatever you found. Maybe it will get you to think about taking this train again.
I'm quoting fare for 2 riders.
Aha!! I think most of us assumed you where quoting for 1 person. Since it's for 2 people, I highly reccommend you take the train, it's well worth the cost. One thing you can do to cut the cost a bit is do one way in coach and the return in first class.

We're thinking about a automobile tour of the southwest this Spring, with a stop at Grand Canyon South Rim. I've been eyeballing the Grand Canyon Railway and wondering if it's worth the price. The coach fare is doable at $140/pr but 1st class is double that, and the dome is crazy priced at $340 - the lounge car is even more expensive. Kinda steep for a 4 1/2 hr round trip!
Anyone made this run? What did you think?
where did you find these rates?? On the GCR website, coach class is 70$/person rt and 1st class is 140$/person rt. These are much cheaper fares than whatever you found. Maybe it will get you to think about taking this train again.
I'm quoting fare for 2 riders.
Aha!! I think most of us assumed you where quoting for 1 person. Since it's for 2 people, I highly reccommend you take the train, it's well worth the cost. One thing you can do to cut the cost a bit is do one way in coach and the return in first class.
Nope, plainly said $140/pr, highlighted above.

What made up my mind not to ride is the schedule. I want to spend all day there. 11:45am arrival and 3:30pm departure doesn't cut it. I'll get some dome time in the Napa Wine Train.

Back