Grand Luxe Returns to ABQ

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abqdave

Train Attendant
You may remember a few weeks ago I posted when there were a lot of new trains in the ABQ yard, including the SW Chief, a special Amtrak train, and many Grand Luxe passenger coaches being hauled by Amtrak locomotives.

The Grand Luxe coaches are back today, being hauled by 3 Amtrak locomotives. I am not 100% sure on this next part, because the bus I was on went by so fast...but there may have been a 'stray' 4th Amtrak locomotive in a different part of the yard (I don't mean the extra one that is always here), it appeared it was being refueled.

Regardless of that part...I think I counted 21 passenger cars, split between 2 tracks. I don't think I have ever heard of a passenger train that long. Is it unusual to have a train of that size?

You may remember a few weeks ago I posted when there were a lot of new trains in the ABQ yard, including the SW Chief, a special Amtrak train, and many Grand Luxe passenger coaches being hauled by Amtrak locomotives.
The Grand Luxe coaches are back today, being hauled by 3 Amtrak locomotives. I am not 100% sure on this next part, because the bus I was on went by so fast...but there may have been a 'stray' 4th Amtrak locomotive in a different part of the yard (I don't mean the extra one that is always here), it appeared it was being refueled.

Regardless of that part...I think I counted 21 passenger cars, split between 2 tracks. I don't think I have ever heard of a passenger train that long. Is it unusual to have a train of that size?
In the summer, The Canadian runs with as many as 25 - 27 cars and three engines. Even when we were on it three years ago in April it had 23 cars. long train!

Well the AT is usually at least 15 actual passenger cars, many times it has even more than 15 pax cars, plus at least 20 to perhaps 30 Auto Carriers.

I'm not sure how many people claim that it's the longest passenger train, but Amtrak sure claims that. Even even emblazoned on a sign on the station platform in Lorton.

Back