Greetings from a new member (with an AT cancellation question)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope someone can answer my question. I purchased a ticket for myself and car on the auto train and I'm afraid I need to cancel. Does anyone know the refund process. I read the terms of saver, value, etc fares but it's not clear what type of fare I have. The ticket suggests it is non refundable but that seems to conflict with Amtrak website.
It is impossible to reach amtrak by phone, I also sent an email. I'm reaching out here with the hope someone knowledgable can let me know whether I can get a cash refund or whether I'm stuck with a credit? My train is more than 30 days away from today. Thanks in advance.

Hello,

If you've booked a seat, your ticket is 100% refundable up to 15 days prior to departure.
If you've booked a sleeper, your ticket is 75% refundable up to 15 days prior to departure (100% up to 121 days prior)

The refund policy is that of the customer ticket with which the vehicle (automobiles, motorcycles) or add-on (golf bags, bikes, pets) fee ticket is associated. Example: For reservations with a bedroom and automobile on Auto Train, the sleeping accommodation refund policy also applies to the automobile ticket.

Isn't it possible to change your trip date to a time far enough in the future that it's within the 100% refund window, and then cancel it for a full refund? Feel like I successfully did this a few months ago while dithering back and forth over a trip.

Speaking of dithering over a trip, I have a somewhat related question I was coming here to ask that I don't want to start a new thread for. Is there a cutoff for modifying a trip--like, how many days in advance do you have to move a sleeper trip to a different date? I am supposed to go PHL --> ORL in a week and I am thinking I should just reschedule the whole darn trip and avoid the omicron chaos.

Back