Greyhound to launch in UK

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesontheroad

OBS Chief
First Group, the Scottish transport company that owns the Greyhound brand, today announced plans to launch a low cost intercity bus service in the UK under the Greyhound banner. Follow link to full press release and links to tif images of UK-spec Greyhound coaches (Scania chassis, Irizar PB bodies). Initial routes will be London - Southampton and London - Portsmouth.

The Greyhound has landedWednesday 19 August 2009

Source: http://www.firstgroup.com/corporate/latest_news/?id=002371

FirstGroup today unveiled the first Greyhound coaches which will introduce the iconic brand to the UK. Greyhound UK will launch on September 14th between London and the two cities of Portsmouth and Southampton and the company hopes to add further destinations from 2010.

In the USA and Canada, Greyhound offers the only countrywide network of coach services. Celebrated in film and song for nearly a century Greyhound has become the most famous bus brand in the world. Greyhound UK will offer unrivalled product and service quality with a large range of cheap fares starting from £1, plus 50p booking fee, on www.greyhounduk.com. Onboard features will include spacious leather seating, free wi-fi, power sockets, air-conditioning, complimentary newspapers and Greyhound will also offer industry-leading customer service.

Sir Moir Lockhead, FirstGroup’s Chief Executive, revealed the new vehicles and said:

“For 95 years Greyhound has been an icon of American life carrying millions of people across the USA and Canada. Since FirstGroup took over Greyhound in 2007, we have hoped to bring this famous brand across the Atlantic and I am absolutely delighted to reveal the first authentic Greyhound coaches in the UK.

“Although built on a venerable and famous brand, these vehicles will offer the latest in customer service and comfort. Greyhound UK will offer unrivalled value for money with fares available on-line from £1 each way plus 50p booking fee. All vehicles will be equipped with free wi-fi, air-conditioning, up to 20% extra leg room compared with rivals and industry-leading customer service. Passengers will travel in comfort and be able to use the time spent onboard for work or leisure. When we introduced these features in the USA, with Greyhound’s BoltBus subsidiary, passenger demand exceeded our expectations and I am confident that Greyhound UK will do the same.

“Our services will be more attractive than rival bus and train options, but we also believe that Greyhound UK’s growth will come from persuading more people to leave their cars at home and opt instead for our coaches. By providing these services at an unbeatable price, and doing so with the carbon footprint around 23% of journeys by private car, we think we will really make an impact on how people will travel in the future. I am pleased to be able to say that “the Greyhound has landed” and I am confident that it will set new benchmarks for travel in Britain.”

continues...

Last edited by a moderator:
First Group, the Scottish transport company that owns the Greyhound brand, today announced plans to launch a low cost intercity bus service in the UK under the Greyhound banner. Follow link to full press release and links to tif images of UK-spec Greyhound coaches (Scania chassis, Irizar PB bodies). Initial routes will be London - Southampton and London - Portsmouth.
The Greyhound has landedWednesday 19 August 2009

Source: http://www.firstgroup.com/corporate/latest_news/?id=002371

FirstGroup today unveiled the first Greyhound coaches which will introduce the iconic brand to the UK. Greyhound UK will launch on September 14th between London and the two cities of Portsmouth and Southampton and the company hopes to add further destinations from 2010.

In the USA and Canada, Greyhound offers the only countrywide network of coach services. Celebrated in film and song for nearly a century Greyhound has become the most famous bus brand in the world. Greyhound UK will offer unrivalled product and service quality with a large range of cheap fares starting from £1, plus 50p booking fee, on www.greyhounduk.com. Onboard features will include spacious leather seating, free wi-fi, power sockets, air-conditioning, complimentary newspapers and Greyhound will also offer industry-leading customer service.

Sir Moir Lockhead, FirstGroup’s Chief Executive, revealed the new vehicles and said:

“For 95 years Greyhound has been an icon of American life carrying millions of people across the USA and Canada. Since FirstGroup took over Greyhound in 2007, we have hoped to bring this famous brand across the Atlantic and I am absolutely delighted to reveal the first authentic Greyhound coaches in the UK.

“Although built on a venerable and famous brand, these vehicles will offer the latest in customer service and comfort. Greyhound UK will offer unrivalled value for money with fares available on-line from £1 each way plus 50p booking fee. All vehicles will be equipped with free wi-fi, air-conditioning, up to 20% extra leg room compared with rivals and industry-leading customer service. Passengers will travel in comfort and be able to use the time spent onboard for work or leisure. When we introduced these features in the USA, with Greyhound’s BoltBus subsidiary, passenger demand exceeded our expectations and I am confident that Greyhound UK will do the same.

“Our services will be more attractive than rival bus and train options, but we also believe that Greyhound UK’s growth will come from persuading more people to leave their cars at home and opt instead for our coaches. By providing these services at an unbeatable price, and doing so with the carbon footprint around 23% of journeys by private car, we think we will really make an impact on how people will travel in the future. I am pleased to be able to say that “the Greyhound has landed” and I am confident that it will set new benchmarks for travel in Britain.”

continues...
So Brits will now be able to sing "Thank God and Greyhound You're Gone"?

"Follow link to full press release and links to tif images of UK-spec Greyhound coaches (Scania chassis, Irizar PB bodies)": I dunno. If it's not an MCI or the like, it's not a Greyhound.

Back