Gunn in BeechGrove for discussion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miami Joe

Lead Service Attendant
Word has it that Gunn was in BG to meet with all the employees and management.

Over 400 people attended and the the NEC question was brought up. He supposedly said that he didn't think it would happen, but anything is possible!

And he agreed that if it did happen, LDT's would start to fold within 6-12 months! :(

Can anyone verify if this meeting took place? :blink:

MJ B)

Joe, on my next trip to NYC I will try to get some info from my contacts up there. I can usually get some fairly reliable info from NYC crewbase management. It seemed unusually quiet there when I was there this last trip, though. OBS...

Got the same story in New Orleans. Management here is scrambling to reorganize the crew base and reduce service costs on the trains in order to the prevent both the City and Crescent from being abolished due to loss of operating support from NEC ticket sales income. They say they want to bring back the diner and the crew base to pre-Katrina levels, but I really don't think they'll get a chance to bring it back with this NEC issue going up to Capitol Hill for approval. We already know that the White House will sign the act if goes through the legislature.

Joe, I just remembered that Gunn was supposed to be in CHI for the presidential awards banquet for those employees who were scheduled to be there. It is to my understanding it is usually at the end of any of that type of function he holds a question and answer session. This may be the case regarding your question. I still will confirm when I know for sure. OBS...

I don't think the cost cutting has anything to do with the NEC proposal! <_<

Since Tommy Farr took control of the SouthEast region, which includes NOL, alot of changes have been made at the facilities.

Manpower on the running trains has been reduced to the point, that the cars are being neglected at the passenger's expense and often end up spending an extra day in the PM line during the 90 day PM.

Nobody wants to come in at midnight and work 16 hrs. They also have to work 2 trains at the same time. By the time the consists are spotted, inspected, cars switched out and put on power, only major defects are addressed. #98 leaves at 7am and #92 at 850am. That leaves about 4 hrs on 98 and 3 hrs on 92 for repairs. :blink:

They took away our 20 cent per hour HVAC rate, took away all the tech rates, and just took away the paper coveralls.

No one is filing written grievances and management knows they can ignore the union agreements.

I get the "feeling" that the employees have given up and accepts the situation and this is why morale is low.

MJ B)

Back