Gunn might be quiting Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Could be a possible house clearing, seeing who his allies are and who his "allies" are. I hope it's just a rumor and not the truth, there isn't anybody out there that could replace him with his history.

Amtrak is in a crisis if David Gunn resigns. The Amtrak Board of Directors currently holds two members, David M. Laney and Norman Y. Mineta. Neither member has any railroad experience and both are set out to kill Amtrak. David M. Laney was a member of the Texas Turnpike Authority and a member of the Texas Finance Commission under Texas governor William Clements. As for Transportation Secretary Norman Mineta, he's been out to kill Amtrak since day one. There is no saving song for Amtrak if Gunn leaves. The Bush administration has planned it's carefully to kill the railroad and they may just win. :( :angry:

Here's my question. If Gunn resigns who is to appoint a new president? Is that the decision of the Amtrak board of directors or can Gunn appoint someone at his choice?

Short answer: the Amtrak Board of Directors.

Long answer: it depends on the circumstances of David Gunn’s resignation (IF it happens). If he were to resign voluntarily and with the Board still behind him and his management, then he would certainly hold a considerable amount of influence over the choice of the next CEO. However, if he were to resign at the “request” or “suggestion” of the Board, then he would have no influence in the decision. Quite frankly, the later scenario is more probable. Although Gunn has always talked a good game, his actual performance as Amtrak CEO has been pretty sad. By virtually every operation measure, Amtrak is performing about as badly as at any time in its history.

However, the political aspect to the job and the impending election complicate matters in either case. It is likely that the Board would appoint an interim head until after the election and await whatever changes occur at DOT, if any, before selecting the CEO.

Well my answer is, it'll be up to Gunn!!! You see from what i understand, David Gunn came out of retirement to take this job! What does he have to lose? If he quits on his own or is asked to resign, what will he do. He will simply go back to retirement where he left off in my opinion!!! I am sorta in the middle when it comes to Gunn, I have seen good changes as well as bad. I do feel he is getting discouraged and his patience is wearing thin. I don't fully agree on his stand in regard to labor relations (and I will not discuss that here on my part), but the man does strike me with ability to get things done. But he NEEDS resources, and not many are available! He has a lot of negative varibles against him.

Wow!!!! :eek:

This is all new to me! This would really blow!!! :angry:

I think he's done a great job!!. Maybe, instead of having to explain his actions and trying to convince everyone of his vision, he would have more time to do his job!!

Hialeah yard is being overhauled at the cost of millions of dollars. This is the first major improvement I have seen since I've been here!

Hialeah has just added a major roof extension over the wheelpit, purchased an in-ground wheel lathe, remodeled the lunchroom, men's and women's lockerrooms and is replacing track in the yard. While some of these improvements will take months to be installed, it shows that Amtrak is trying to make up for years of neglect and improving maintenance.

If Gunn resigns, only God knows what will happen!!! I better start saying my prayer!!!

Mimi Joe B)

Miami Joe said:
Wow!!!! :eek:
This is all new to me! This would really blow!!! :angry:

I think he's done a great job!!. Maybe, instead of having to explain his actions and trying to convince everyone of his vision, he would have more time to do his job!!

Hialeah yard is being overhauled at the cost of millions of dollars. This is the first major improvement I have seen since I've been here!

Hialeah has just added a major roof extension over the wheelpit, purchased an in-ground wheel lathe, remodeled the lunchroom, men's and women's lockerrooms and is replacing track in the yard. While some of these improvements will take months to be installed, it shows that Amtrak is trying to make up for years of neglect and improving maintenance.

If Gunn resigns, only God knows what will happen!!! I better start saying my prayer!!!

Mimi Joe B)
Wow I didnt realize Hialeah and other maintence faciliteis were being improved. I guess the cars will be better maintained if the facility is.

I shure hope gunn dosent resign too. :(

engine999 said:
Wow I didnt realize Hialeah and other maintence faciliteis were being improved. I guess the cars will be better maintained if the facility is.
I shure hope gunn dosent resign too. :(
I am guessing here, but there is more behind the scenes changes for the better under his watch than there has been in the past that we will never hear about. Thankfully there are first hand witnesses who can tell the untold story B)

Most of the improvements that have come about under Mr. Gunn's regime are not readily visible to the typical railfan, and perhaps not even to the field employees.

Equipment is being repaired at a rate far exceeding anything that occurred under GW or even his predecessor, Tom Downs.

Restoring credibility on The Hill was a monumental turnaround for Amtrak, even winning over guarded respect from one of Amtrak's foremost critics, Sen McCain from AZ!

Infrastructure improvements - long overdue - are getting made.

Standardization of the fleet and rationalization of management positions is done or underway.

Sure yanking lots of cars into PM can be devastating to the service levels on the trains, but Mr. Gunn said the road would be a tough one for awhile. He's making no secrets that Amtrak faces an uphill climb for some time.

The problems with the freight railroads and the states have been dealt with squarely. Remember his threat to end the Adirondack unless New York coughed up the dough it had withheld?? Amtrak got the money, didn't it! Bowing to immense pressure from the very same state, the Turbos went into service against his better judgement. And now that equipment is sidelined with catastrophic failures. Just wait to see how he deals with CSX and UP. It should be quite interesting...

Mr. Gunn has advocated a hard-line approach from the first day he set foot in 60 Mass Ave, and he hasn't relented or veered of his plan one iota since then.

You're right about one thing - what does he stand to lose by walking away or getting canned? Absolutely nothing! He is working hard for Amtrak because he believes in a national passenger rail system.

Those of you who think he's a bum that needs ousting couldn't hope to fill his shoes!

If he resigns, the only hope that we have is that Mineta quits his job and goes overseas or jumps off of a cliff

I got news for you guys

A Nova Scotian doesn't quit... I was married to one. Same city as Mr. Gunn from...

Reality I hope he doesn't..... B)

capltd29 said:
If he resigns, the only hope that we have is that Mineta quits his job and goes overseas or jumps off of a cliff
Nice thought. He probably wishes the same things would happen to you.

Guest said:
capltd29 said:
Nice thought. He probably wishes the same things would happen to you.
:rolleyes:

Member capltd29 very well may have been thinking nice thoughts about Mineta, you know. Quitting his job to enter a restful retirement, or to relieve stress? Going overseas for a vacation, perhaps? Or participating in parasailing, diving, or various other sports that may involve jumping off a cliff? :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back