Gunn trying to change work rules...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AmtrakerBx

Train Attendant
Amtrak to Seek New Work Rules in Talks

February 20, 2003 6:42:00 PM ET

By John Crawley

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Amtrak said on Thursday it would seek work rule concessions from its unions representing 20,000 employees as part of its drive to operate more efficiently.

Unlike U.S. airlines, in which thousands of workers have lost their jobs and thousands of others have agreed to massive wage and benefit concessions in the past year to stem record losses or keep companies afloat during bankruptcy, cash-strapped Amtrak is not seeking work force reductions or cuts in salaries or benefits from its 20,000 union employees.

David Gunn, the railroad's president and chief executive, would not specify what work rule changes he wants from the railroad's 13 unions during contract talks. Those labor groups represent train engineers, track workers, conductors, maintenance personnel, ticket sellers and others.

``We're not talking about being draconian. We're being reasonable,'' Gunn told reporters at a briefing. ``We have to be efficient. We're fighting for our survival.''

Amtrak workers are already the lowest paid railroad employees, with some of them making between 15 percent and 20 percent less than their counterparts at freight and commuter operations.

``There are ways to handle it so people don't get hurt,'' Gunn said.

Gunn has eliminated more than 600 management jobs since taking over last May.

Federally mediated contract talks were suspended last year because of Amtrak's worsening financial condition and they have not resumed.

There is no timetable for any new agreements. Amtrak workers have not had a pay raise in four years.

George Moneypenny, railroad division director for the Transport Workers Union, said Amtrak notified employees last week that it would need more productivity from them but was not more specific.

Moneypenny, whose union represents 2,500 Amtrak workers, said it was difficult to know what changes Gunn might seek in work rules, which are standard for passenger, commuter and freight railroads.

Amtrak has never made money in its 32-year history and will receive a $1.05 billion subsidy from the government to keep its trains running through the end of September.

Gunn said he did not envision asking Congress for more money this year but unveiled a $1.8 billion budget proposal for 2004.

No raise in 4 years, and he's going to ask us for work rule changes???? hahahahaha......How about us getting the 12.25% raise that the TCU freight employees just got, then talk about work rule changes.

And if someone says, "well the airline workers are taking cuts" sure their taking cuts, but we didn't sign a contract in the last year or so giving us 25-30% raises either like they did.

There are some of us who don't have jobs--let alone incomes-- at all who wouldn't mind working for Amtrak at present salary offerings. Some of us could get by and be quite happy on less pay than currently offered.

Amtrak2276 said:
No raise in 4 years, and he's going to ask us for work rule changes???? hahahahaha......How about us getting the 12.25% raise that the TCU freight employees just got, then talk about work rule changes.
And if someone says, "well the airline workers are taking cuts" sure their taking cuts, but we didn't sign a contract in the last year or so giving us 25-30% raises either like they did.
If it's no raise, vs. no job.....I think I'll take the no raise thank you very much. And though the company doesn't pay as well as freights, it still pays fairly well. I'll take it.

Ok, stupid question but anyone have any idea as to what the proposed work rule changes might be, and once they are put out on the negotiating table wouldn't the unions involved have a chance to approve or reject them? How would the proposed rule changes effect the safe operating of the railroad, etc...just things I would ask.

What if the government--assuming they control the purse strings for the LD trains--made certain demands of the workers? I could see certain folks within the Bush admin saying, "Change this, or no money."

I see Amtrak 2276's point, but on the other hand, lots of people are not only NOT getting raises, but being fired. The harsh realities of both the 21st Century AND the cost of the Iraqi war (if it happens) are going to hit America soon. I pray Amtrak survives. It has a lot of enemies in the Bush camp.

That said, I also saw a lot of extraordinarily lazy workers on the five Amtrak trains I took this last summer (saw some great workers too). Our sleeper car attendant didn't do one damn thing except whine and complain to anyone who would listen. I'd have fired his butt on the spot.

Opinions?

Scott

I would not want to be to dismissive of the needs of the employees at Amtrak. I dont really know how hard the conditions are for the employees. For example, I am aware that a sleeping car attendant does get breaks in the crew car at certain times. I originally thought that accomodations in a crew car was identical to what a paying passenger experienced. However, I have heard that the conditions there might not be as nice as I thought.

Also, no matter how you slice it, the people in the diner work there asses off. There day starts before 6 am and even though there are breaks between meals, there day does not end until at least a couple of hours after dinner. I worked in a restaurant as a bus boy, and at times a 6 or seven hour shift without a break was grueling to me. Now these guys (all crew members) work more than that for 6 or 7 days in a row on a train like the CZ before getting several days off.

To a railfan, this seems like heaven. However, these guys are expecte to be "on" at all times. They do get abused. I witnesses an African American sleeping car attendent on the Eagle expereince racial slurs (the n word) from a passenger who was mentally ill, and was consuming alcohal after not taking medication. In addition, after he brought dinner back to her room, she through it on the floor. This happened twice. Despite reports to two differnt conductors, this women remained on the train from Chicago to Tuscon. On top of that, this train was 8 hours late. Her tip, she threw up in the standard bedroom before getting off in Tuscon. Throughout the trip, the attendant showed true class. He never cursed, he never go angry. I gave him my name and phone number, and told him if anyone gave him problems, call me. I would vouch for him.

Sure money is tight, but these guys are needed too. So lets find out all of the info. before we start judging them for objecting to work rules.

I agree with the fact that there are some lazy workers out there...in fact, probably MANY lazy workers out there. They are part of the problem. We need many more folks out there who are willing to work, and be happy about the paycheck they DO receive. However, unfortunately, unless Gunn comes through and witnesses it, I'm afraid there's not much else to do.

It would be great to have a questionnarie cards available to the passengers and write down the praises/complains toward the cleaniness, employees, meals, etc. Also add ideas that Gunn might haven't thought about it.

Steve4031 said:
Sure money is tight, but these guys are needed too. So lets find out all of the info. before we start judging them for objecting to work rules.
This is exactly my point, first we should find out what the proposed new work rules are vs. the existing work rules. Also, IIRC from Collective Bargaining 101 that once the proposal is put out on the table the unions involved would have the chance to accept or reject the proposed rule changes, or to propose their own changes. Let's not put the cart before the horse and get all the facts before we make our judgements.

If you read the article carefully I believe what is being requested from the unions is work rule consessions -- not salary reductions. Since Gunn is out for a streamlined and efficient workforce, I would imagine that the concessions may have something to do with union-mandated staffing levels of hours of service stuff.

I'd have fired his butt on the spot.
AMEN.

Some work hard and aren't rewarded, some screw up and aren't punished.

Is that any way to run a railroad?

HELL NO!

hello

Amtrak might be wise to move some of their lower level managers out of home base and put them on the trains. Make them chief of onboard service. This position could be directly responsible for all staff on the train. Give the chief position the responsibility to asses the performance of all employees on the train, and the ability to let go employees who are not maintaning Amtrak's work standards. Set up the management structure so the managers are there for the onboard employees, to help them, not disconnected at home base or DC were the management is of little help to the staff on the frontline.

Just my take,

John

chefrhodes81 said:
hello
Amtrak might be wise to move some of their lower level managers out of home base and put them on the trains. Make them chief of onboard service. This position could be directly responsible for all staff on the train. Give the chief position the responsibility to asses the performance of all employees on the train, and the ability to let go employees who are not maintaning Amtrak's work standards. Set up the management structure so the managers are there for the onboard employees, to help them, not disconnected at home base or DC were the management is of little help to the staff on the frontline.

Just my take,

John
To some extent, Gunn has already taken care of this. An example is one of my PLS's from over the summer at Union Station. This past fall I took 304 home on a Friday, and guess who was working the LSA position? You got it. I think these changes are already in progress.

Amtrak2276 said:
I agree, Tuballen.and loving what one's job is is part of the reward.
Hahahahahahahahahaahaha,,,,you guys are living on another planet.

ROFLMAO,,,,Oh yeah, I feel SO rewarded......lol
Ok, well I do know that over the summer I worked a lot, and began to feel a little burned out. On the other hand, I wouldn't have traded it for anything. I realize that no raises and such get a bit frustrating after a while, however, I also believe there is something to be said about just enjoying the job you do. If you don't enjoy it, then you need to get out. This I believe is part of the plague that Amtrak faces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back