H Bedroom Upcharge?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kat

Gosh, it's been a long time since I've been on the board. I'm planning a trip on the California Zephyr (EMY to CHI)in the middle of next month. I'm newly handicapped now (with a car placard), and inquired about the H bedroom for the trip. The Amtrack agent I spoke with quoted a price 25% higher than a roomette.

My trip on the full run of the Coast Starlight the month after (February) is at the same price as a roomette. There was no explaination for the difference, just "that's the price"- sort of take it or leave it.

I'm confused, can anyone help me understand why it would be higher? I thought the ADA prohibited higher charges for accessibilty.

Thanks!!

Gosh, it's been a long time since I've been on the board. I'm planning a trip on the California Zephyr (EMY to CHI)in the middle of next month. I'm newly handicapped now (with a car placard), and inquired about the H bedroom for the trip. The Amtrack agent I spoke with quoted a price 25% higher than a roomette.

My trip on the full run of the Coast Starlight the month after (February) is at the same price as a roomette. There was no explaination for the difference, just "that's the price"- sort of take it or leave it.

I'm confused, can anyone help me understand why it would be higher? I thought the ADA prohibited higher charges for accessibilty.

Thanks!!
I'm sure it's not higher than a roomette, maybe even a discounted roomette price!

I'm newly handicapped now (with a car placard), and inquired about the H bedroom for the trip.
You must be mobility handicapped (wheelchair, walker, etc), not just handicapped.

I pulled the roomette pricing from the Amtrak website just before I called.

Again, pricing fluctuates as people buy, cancel, pull up a room to check price, etc.

Booking in advance, they should be the same price at the same time for the same departure.

Amtrak has a "bucket" system where the higher the demand the higher the "bucket" price will be. Now, if you are mobility disabled, you should get a 15% discount on the prevailing

bucket which can fluctuate from minute to minute. If you book the room 15 days out and are not physically challenged you are charged the full bedroom price at probably the highest bucket because all the other rooms have to be sold out before you can buy the H room as an unchallenged person. The Viewliner H room was an answer to the two roomettes Amtrak took from the older Heritage cars and made one "accesible" room to meet ADA standards.Hope this makes sense to you and good traveling. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back