Had to cancel our long awaited travel on Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marilee

Train Attendant
Hello all,

Unfortunately we aren't going to be taking our first trip on Amtrak this year, and I am so bummed. :( We will still be going on our vacation to the gulf states but we will be driving instead. We have a beautiful cottage rented in Gulfport, MS and many plans to visit New Orleans so we will have a lot of fun to look forward to> once we get there.

Let me also say that I am very impressed with Amtrak customer service as they called us and tried to find a reschedule for our trip but because they couldn't guarantee arrival I had to cancel. I was also assured that a total refund would be issued to my credit card in 3-5 days. I wonder if we would have gotten that with the airlines!!??

So lastly, thanks for all the wonderful information on this site and I hope we can travel via Amtrak sometime again.

Sincerely,

Marilee

Sorry the floods ruined your train trip, but there will be another opportunity in the future.

Enjoy the beach.

so sorry you had to cancel your train trip. Gulfport is an area still rebuilding after Hurricane Katrina so you will likely see some areas completely new and other areas where some damage may still exist. I went to the Gulfport area every year for a few years after Katrina to help with the recovery process. They have made great progress in that recovery and it is nice to see almost all the FEMA trailers replaced with cute little Katrina Cottages. Here is the link to some more information, if you are interested.

http://katrinacottagehousing.org/

The people of the gulf area are very resilient, friendly folks. Enjoy your vacation. Tourist dollars is exactly what they still need.

Sorry to hear you had to cancel the trip.. I've been there 4 years ago with our trip, and had to cancel due to the flood.. As you said, I as well had a great customer service and got my full refund back.. You are right, I bet you won't get that from the airlines.

Enjoy your time down there!

Thanks jb64 and Traneman for the nice responses. We are looking at the driving as another adventure. I can't imagine the nightmare that Amtrak is going through with these cancellations.

jb64 - I am very excited about staying in Gulfport. The cottage we rented is beautiful and less than a block from the beach. It was totally remodeled after Katrina. This will be my first time in this area so I am ready for some seafood and a po'boy.

Sincerely,

Marilee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back