Hair Dryers??

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gregoryla

Service Attendant
I recall reading in old posts that the electrical outlets in Superliner roomettes lack sufficient amps (watts?) to power a hairdryer. Four questions for the group:

1, Is it correct that hairdryers can't be used in roomettes?

2. Do the electrical outlets in Superliner bedrooms have sufficient amps for a hairdryer?

3. Do the electrical outlets in Superliner lavatories have sufficient amps for a hairdryer?

4. What happens if my wife plugs a hairdryer into an outlet which lacks the requisite amps? Does the hairdryer just not work? Does the whole car/train plunge into darkness? Fire?

Thanks to all.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've used a hairdryer in a roomette, but never tried the lav.

Likely you would flip a breaker if anything. If I am not sure, I run a hairdryer on low heat. Fan speed has little effect but heat takes a lot of power. A good hairdryer has independent controls for fan speed and heat. A crummy one doesn't. Somme high-priced ones are crummy.

Here's what also could happen. You flip a breaker. That breaker is also the one for the engine horn. The engineer can no longer sound the horn so hits a truck which bounces up knocking out the antenna so the engineer can't tell dispatch he hit the truck. Just then a piece of the truck falls on the brake control preventing the engineer from applying the brakes. He now has a runaway train so it blasts through all the signals. The dispatchers realize this so they sideline all the trains to allow yours through. You fly through intermediate stops. Meanwhile the SCA finds the flipped breaker and resets it. Your wife has decided the hairdryer had a problem so she flips the switch to low heat just as the breaker is reset. she happily dries her hair. While this is going on, everyone is complaining to the conductor that they missed their stations so the conductor is kept busy handing out vouchers and calling the office to arrange new connections.

The diner staff realizes they will not feed everyone so they quickly shove the food onto the tables to get everyone fed before final destination. Unfortunately, since that breaker also controlled the convection oven, the food is still frozen. Three people break a tooth and one discovers frozen chicken would make a good new ice cream flavor for Baskin Robbins. He calls his attorney to patent the idea only to find out a fellow passenger beat him to it. They get into a fist fight. Someone calls the police on their cell phone.

The local police arrive and park their cars on the tracks, jump out and draw their guns not realizing the train can't stop. When they realize it won't, they deploy stop -sticks to deflate the tires not realizing it doesn't work with steel wheels. However, the brake line breaks from a flying piece of stop-stick releasing the air and locking the brakes bringing the train to a halt just as it arrives in your station. Your SCA announces that you need to get off and you and your wife, happily with dry hair, exits the train. You report here that your train arrived early and everything worked out.

As you leave you can't understand why people are complaining, the engineer is kissing the ground, the police are dragging two men off the diner and the diner staff is exhausted. No big deal. Just another typical Amtrak day.

Don't let it bother you that she just HAS to use the hairdryer.

Here's what also could happen. You flip a breaker. That breaker is also the one for the engine horn. The engineer can no longer sound the horn so hits a truck which bounces up knocking out the antenna so the engineer can't tell dispatch he hit the truck. Just then a piece of the truck falls on the brake control preventing the engineer from applying the brakes. He now has a runaway train so it blasts through all the signals. The dispatchers realize this so they sideline all the trains to allow yours through. You fly through intermediate stops. Meanwhile the SCA finds the flipped breaker and resets it. Your wife has decided the hairdryer had a problem so she flips the switch to low heat just as the breaker is reset. she happily dries her hair. While this is going on, everyone is complaining to the conductor that they missed their stations so the conductor is kept busy handing out vouchers and calling the office to arrange new connections.

The diner staff realizes they will not feed everyone so they quickly shove the food onto the tables to get everyone fed before final destination. Unfortunately, since that breaker also controlled the convection oven, the food is still frozen. Three people break a tooth and one discovers frozen chicken would make a good new ice cream flavor for Baskin Robbins. He calls his attorney to patent the idea only to find out a fellow passenger beat him to it. They get into a fist fight. Someone calls the police on their cell phone.

The local police arrive and park their cars on the tracks, jump out and draw their guns not realizing the train can't stop. When they realize it won't, they deploy stop -sticks to deflate the tires not realizing it doesn't work with steel wheels. However, the brake line breaks from a flying piece of stop-stick releasing the air and locking the brakes bringing the train to a halt just as it arrives in your station. Your SCA announces that you need to get off and you and your wife, happily with dry hair, exits the train. You report here that your train arrived early and everything worked out.

As you leave you can't understand why people are complaining, the engineer is kissing the ground, the police are dragging two men off the diner and the diner staff is exhausted. No big deal. Just another typical Amtrak day.

I'm assuming that this is a flight of fancy, in which case it would have been nice to include a smiley such that the person asking the question would be certain to understand that such a thing could never happen.

I recall reading in old posts that the electrical outlets in Superliner roomettes lack sufficient amps (watts?) to power a hairdryer. Four questions for the group:

1, Is it correct that hairdryers can't be used in roomettes?

2. Do the electrical outlets in Superliner bedrooms have sufficient amps for a hairdryer?

3. Do the electrical outlets in Superliner lavatories have sufficient amps for a hairdryer?

4. What happens if my wife plugs a hairdryer into an outlet which lacks the requisite amps? Does the hairdryer just not work? Does the whole car/train plunge into darkness? Fire?

Thanks to all.
I don't think that you'll have any problems, although the idea of keeping the heat setting on low is a good idea. Worst case scenario, it would trip the local breaker dropping the power to a couple of rooms within the car and the SCA will have to reset the breaker.

Likely you would flip a breaker if anything. If I am not sure, I run a hairdryer on low heat. Fan speed has little effect but heat takes a lot of power. A good hairdryer has independent controls for fan speed and heat. A crummy one doesn't. Somme high-priced ones are crummy.

:lol:

I'm assuming that this is a flight of fancy, in which case it would have been nice to include a smiley such that the person asking the question would be certain to understand that such a thing could never happen.
If there's someone out there who actually took that post seriously, they have far bigger things to worry about than their next Amtrak trip. :p

Here's what also could happen...
If there's someone out there who actually took that post seriously, they have far bigger things to worry about than their next Amtrak trip. :p
That's why I didn't include the smiley. There are humorous postings that someone might take seriously so you put a smiley on there to assure them that it is not. But something so outlandish cannot possibly be taken any other way doesn't need it. I, at least, assumed that anyone who can type a post has no less than some small part of a brain and almost assuredly is endowed with a full one. But in case someone out there just has lost their marbles,: Yes, there is absolutely no way anything remotely like I described could happen. Well unless ... LOOK - A SMILEY ---> :giggle:

Here's what also could happen...
That's why I didn't include the smiley. There are humorous postings that someone might take seriously so you put a smiley on there to assure them that it is not. But something so outlandish cannot possibly be taken any other way doesn't need it. I, at least, assumed that anyone who can type a post has no less than some small part of a brain and almost assuredly is endowed with a full one. But in case someone out there just has lost their marbles,: Yes, there is absolutely no way anything remotely like I described could happen. Well unless ... LOOK - A SMILEY ---> :giggle:
I don't think anyone actually thought your original post was serious, however, it was definitely belittling of the OP's question and was almost as condescending as this one. :)

HAHA!! That's good material right there! :lol:

I don't think anyone actually thought your original post was serious, however, it was definitely belittling of the OP's question and was almost as condescending as this one. :)
Unfortunately, one cannot PM a guest so this direct attack can only be answered here.

My original posting was solely intended to be humorous - just "a flight of fancy" as Alan stated. Others apparently saw it as I intended it.

Since it was so over the top, I simply didn't believe that Alan's comment was necessary as to me that comment assumed that the OP and possibly others would not have the smarts to see it as it was. By making the story so outrageous, one could not help considering it to be intended as humorous.

Yes, my comment to him did include a little sarcasm but was not in any manner, shape or form belittling.

There is nothing wrong with criticism and we can all disagree and get along. But if you have an account, sign in before posting personal criticisms or create one. It is much nicer that way. If Alan feels I belittled him, he can reply or PM me because he knows that I said it. Hey, I like him. If he PMs and asks me, I'll tell him my name and phone number and he can call to tell me what he thinks of me.

Find humor in life. Find sarcasm in reality.

HAHA!! That's good material right there! :lol:
I agree - hilarious as it was meant to be.
laugh.gif

I had to read it to my husband, of course, I dramatized the whole thing so it was even funnier - to me at least
tongue.gif

Hilarious. :D This reminds me of those DirectTV commercials that always end with some crazy circumstance, all caused by cable issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back