"Handicapped" roommette for the able-bodied?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My spouse and I both have knee replacements and getting to the upper bunk is nearly impossible. We have had the bedrooms and H rooms but will next time book the H and a roomette. Then we will have a larger toilet area and two lower bunks. We will use 5,000 more points then the bedroom per zone but we think it will be worth it.

Would the family room work for two adults 6'4 and 5'11 on the lowest bunks?
No, both of you would be significantly taller that the lower bunk that is parallel with the car wall. I dont know the exact measurement but the first number is a 4.

Dimensions of each berth in every type of sleeper are given in the window that pops up when you click on the room type underlined in blue on the booking page (above the drawing of the room type).

Last edited by a moderator:
What I was thinking is that they meet in a corner and if we sleep foot to foot we would have a bit extra from the other bunk?

You'd gain extra length by having the child bunks down too, but one of them would still be the top bunk. If you were thinking of one adult sleeping on the lower child bunk with knees bent 90°, I'm 6' tall and when kneeling I'm still about 4' - 5" tall. So I could squeeze in OK, but not sure if I could endure sleeping all night with knees bent 90°. Then there's the issue of leg cramps! Not saying it can't be done, but my wife would shoot me if I even suggested it! :p

Clipboard01.jpg

I don't think bad knees is compatible with sleeping in child bunk! H-room and roomette sounds sensible, or two roomettes across from each other if the accessible toilet isn't needed.

As another perspective of one who was mobility limited, my husband found the Viewliner H unit worked adequately for him. (We never traveled in a Superliner H unit.) We used a lightweight folding transport chair (basically a wheelchair without the large wheels, so it must be pushed), as he could not walk for much distance. He did have some difficulty walking the length of the car to the dining car, but he could do it. (Airborne spirit!!) He also had balance issues but the narrowness of the corridor helps with that. He would board in his chair using the lift, but could then sit on the sofa. I think he'd have personally preferred walking further to the diner over riding facing backward. He could manage the H unit's restroom alone if I helped him up from the sofa.

The last few trips, he spent mostly in his chair, and we had our meals in the unit.

I think Amtrak's policy on selling the H unit is a reasonable one. My husband would have never expected nor consented to kicking out a ticketed passenger to offer us a last minute accommodation. We've have figured something else out.

As Jim often says, YMMV.

Edit to add: We have seen all the handicapped parking spaces taken, but only at doctors' offices or other healthcare facilities. I don't doubt it happens sometimes at other places, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got a nice phone call from Amtrak. I was on the waiting list for an accessible room. One got freed up and I now don't have to worry about my other issues :) Nice job Amtrak. Only thing that was disappointing is that I got a voucher for the difference for the room. Does anyone know if it's successful on getting it turned into a cash refund?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back