Handling in service disabled locomotives

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One reason they switch locos is if for some reason the PTC equipment fails in the lead loco or the Horn or Headlight fails. Those are mandatory for the lead locomotive but not for other locomotives in the lashup.
Assuming that the leading loco was at fault as above, would they be allowed to move only the two loco's forward, as the same fault would still be present after they were uncoupled from the train coaches? I wonder if a third loco would be needed with correct working equipment to lead in that situation?

Assuming that the leading loco was at fault as above, would they be allowed to move the two loco's forward, as the same fault would still be present after they were uncoupled from the train coaches?
That is not a problem since PTC is not really necessary to operate anything within a yard at "yard" speeds. There are procedures in place for operating without horn and headlight in yard that can be followed.

Last edited:
That is not a problem since PTC is not really necessary to operate anything within a yard at "yard" speeds. There are procedures in place for operating without horn and headlight in yard that can be followed.
I was wondering more with reference to the original proposition above, where the lead loco has "failed", possibly with the PTC or the other problems you mentioned, on the main line, and the two locos need to be moved on that main line, to a place they can be "swapped over"? Will a third loco need to head the procession?

I was wondering more with reference to the original proposition above, where the lead loco has "failed", possibly with the PTC or the other problems you mentioned, on the main line, and the two locos need to be moved on that main line, to a place they can be "swapped over"?
My understanding is that trains can operate with some restrictions with PTC out in the lead unit. They are not allowed to depart a terminal station with PTC out in the lead unit. I am not sure what the rules are for headlight and horn. Worst case they'd have to wait for a rescue locomotive coming in from the right direction to pull the train off the main into a siding.

Last edited:
My understanding is that trains can operate with some restrictions with PTC out in the lead unit. They are not allowed to depart a terminal station with PTC out in the lead unit. I am not sure what the rules are for headlight and horn. Worst case they'd have to wait for a rescue locomotive coming in from the right direction to pull the train off the main into a siding.
I know on the NEC if ACSES fails they can still run but only up to 80 mph.

If fully functional and failure-free locomotives were required to make any movement at all then the whole system would come crashing down pretty quick. I'm not sure how things work in the UK but if you have a radio scanner in the US you'll sometimes bump into troubleshooting and recovery talk. If a recovery loco is nearby with staff ready to go they might go that route. If nothing is available they'll go by whatever the rules say they can do with a given failure. Even in the case of a simple switcheroo the closest siding might be behind you. If the failure precludes hauling passengers you might need to separate and creep forward to reach the next active siding so you can swap, test, and confirm you're back in business. Then do a relatively slow backup move to reach the cars again.

. I'm not sure how things work in the UK but if you have a radio scanner in the US you'll sometimes bump into troubleshooting and recovery talk.
In the UK most of the system replies on AWS enhanced with TPWS at key locations such as junctions where there is a danger of SPADs (signal passed at danger). I believe the rule is that they can operate up to 40 mph if the equipment has failed. Note that AWS only enforces a driver acknowledging a signal that is other than green, he/she may still proceed at any speed after the ack, unless TPWS is provided which does enforce a speed restriction.

None of this applies to HS1 which I believe still uses the TVM430 system, the same as used by the French LGVs.

Back