Has anyone spent New Years Eve on a train?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gingee

OBS Chief
We will be on the train on New Years Eve (New Years Day also). I was wondering how that is? Any wild parties or just quiet?

I was on the westbound SOUTHWEST CHIEF from Albuquerque one New Year's Eve in the 1980s.

There was quite a celebration in the lounge car.

Sort of-Was on the Heartland Flyer New Years Eve last year, but we arrived on time around 9:30 PM so it was just getting started. Train was full of people heading to OKC's Bricktown for the party, some started ahead of time, but it wasn't out of hand, just a fun atmosphere. Train was packed though! I suspect, it would be a little different on an overnight train when the clock strikes 12. Only thing that might save it from getting too bad, is the cost of a drink on board, and the lack of stock....I suspect the cafe car would be picked clean by 10 PM....

Maybe Alan and the other admins can arange for all of us to be on on of he overnight trains on Dec. 31st next year?

I was on the Sunset for 2012 new years, and will be on the Starlight for 2013. The Sunset was a small gathering in the Lounge. Nothing too wild.

Yes I have.... many moons ago on the Texas Eagle or whatever the heck it was called back then) somewhere near Little Rock, and in Coach too, since in the poverty of my student days I could not afford Sleepers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I traveled on Penn Central #62 from Cleveland Union Terminal to Boston South on New Years Eve of 1971, 4 months before A day. The train was a combination of the former 20th Century, New England States and North Shore Ltd wit Sleepers and coaches from Chicago to Boston and NYC and from Detroit to NYC being switched in at Buffalo. It had a full diner and full lounge car with lots of celebrating in the lounge.

Last year I was on the eastbound California Zephyr on New Years Eve (actually "missed" New Years, as I passed from about 11:30pm PST straight to 12:30am MST). I recall a few announcements being made reminding passengers of Amtrak's alcohol policies and stressing that any disruptive passengers would be put off the train. I was in a sleeper, so I'm not sure what coach was like, but I did not notice any excitement in the sleepers really.

I will be on the WB Cap this new years. Is anyone else doing the same?

17 years young, and heading back from Denver to Chicago, on the Zephyr. Sailors on their way to Great Lakes Naval Station. I had been in a pretty bad Motorcoach-Pickup truck accident. Looked like I fell off a ski-lift. Sailors took pity and "young stoopid skier". Sailors were whooping it up in High-Level lounge car, or diner, I don't remember. (much at all) I DO remember waking up in the AM with a heck of a headache, and a long jump DOWN from the luggage rack, that I was sleeping in............ ahhhhh youth.

I was on the westbound EB on New Years Eve a few (four?) years ago. It was pretty mellow with a few bottles of champagne in the lounge car. If you are between 10 and 70 minutes late leaving Libby, MT you will get to celebrate twice - once in Mountain Time just west of Libby and again in Pacific Time somewhere east of Sandpoint, ID.

Mark

While I've yet to be on Amtrak on NYE, several years ago I was visiting a friend on Long Island and we took the LIRR in to celebrate in the City. The train was packed with folks heading to Times Square and several community bottles were making their way through the car. When one came your way, you took a blast and handed it to the person next to you. The Conductors just went about their duties all in a day's work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back