Has there ever been a wedding on Amtrak?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BCL

Engineer
With all the recent news in California, I was thinking about weddings and marriages. I remember once seeing a couple get hitched at an Oakland A's game, but I was thinking it could get interesting if someone might have tried something like getting married in a sightseer lounge or even in a coach car.

Would it be possible/legal? Would a conductor tell someone to stop? And what would be the legal ramifications since trains often move across state lines?

Years ago I watched a couple get married in the Sightseer lounge on the Cardinal as we passed through the New River Gorge. The conductor sort of closed off the chairs on one side of one end of the upper level. The conductor performed the ceremony and later told me that he'd done a few other weddings in the past. All the adults in the lounge got free champagne out of the deal too! :)

One does have to make prior arrangements with Amtrak to do this; but it is allowed and possible.

I can't speak to the legal issues, especially the state line issue. But obviously it is possible even if one has to wait for a particular state in which to do it.

Attended a wedding on the rear car of a Southern Railway steam excursion out of Atlanta in 1981.

The wedding would have to be performed in the state where the license was issued, I think. Perhaps in the requisite county, too, but that depends on the state.

All weddings on-board Amtrak trains are to be officiated by the Conductor. AND are valid only for the duration of the trip! :eek:

Just kidding. :giggle:

More than u think, over the years. I for one, got married on the open platform of a PV, while on the EnterTRAINment Line dinner train, many years ago. (18, or 19)

Instead of throwing rice or bird seed, we gave all of our guests wooden train whistles, it was loud!

Attended a wedding on the rear car of a Southern Railway steam excursion out of Atlanta in 1981.
The wedding would have to be performed in the state where the license was issued, I think. Perhaps in the requisite county, too, but that depends on the state.
At least in California a marriage license issued by any county is valid anywhere in the state. It could be a matter of cost or convenience as different counties have different fees. requirements for appointments, etc. I know someone who got married in San Francisco City Hall because he liked the location, but got his marriage license somewhere closer to where he lived/worked and which didn't require an appointment (as well as a long schlep separate from the marriage ceremony) like San Francisco did.

Years ago I watched a couple get married in the Sightseer lounge on the Cardinal as we passed through the New River Gorge. The conductor sort of closed off the chairs on one side of one end of the upper level. The conductor performed the ceremony and later told me that he'd done a few other weddings in the past. All the adults in the lounge got free champagne out of the deal too! :)
One does have to make prior arrangements with Amtrak to do this; but it is allowed and possible.

I can't speak to the legal issues, especially the state line issue. But obviously it is possible even if one has to wait for a particular state in which to do it.
The state probably have no way of knowing exactly when state/county lines are crossed, but has that ever stopped alcohol service on Amtrak?

I looked at West Virginia law. They have interesting laws on where a prospective married couple must get their license, but a nonresident couple could get their license at any county clerk in the state. Now they seem to be restrictive about who can perform a wedding - only a "religious representative" or a WV judge of some sort, and anyone authorized to perform a marriage must be listed with the state. Not quite like California where it's a list as long as my arm and where someone could simply come into the state, sign the license, and leave. Just curious what authority the conductor would have other than maybe as a "religious representative". At least in California almost any adult can be deputized for a day as a deputy civil marriage commissioner.

Last edited by a moderator:

The state probably have no way of knowing exactly when state/county lines are crossed, but has that ever stopped alcohol service on Amtrak?

I looked at West Virginia law. They have interesting laws on where a prospective married couple must get their license, but a nonresident couple could get their license at any county clerk in the state. Now they seem to be restrictive about who can perform a wedding - only a "religious representative" or a WV judge of some sort, and anyone authorized to perform a marriage must be listed with the state. Not quite like California where it's a list as long as my arm and where someone could simply come into the state, sign the license, and leave. Just curious what authority the conductor would have other than maybe as a "religious representative". At least in California almost any adult can be deputized for a day as a deputy civil marriage commissioner.
Or you could just get ordained online for free!

;)

Or you could just get ordained online for free!

;)
Yeah - I've heard of these easy ordination churches. They apparently do request that someone performing weddings should register with the state for $25 to be placed on their known list, but apparently failure to register with the state doesn't invalidate a marriage on that basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back